Security Engineer, MAST, Application Security
In Amazon Stores, we ship some of the widest arrays of technology found at any company. From amazon.com to world class machine learning pipelines, from cutting-edge digital healthcare to no-checkout retail, we push the boundaries of technology in every direction using the globe’s largest AWS deployment.
As an AppSec engineer, you will collaborate with software development teams to ensure we keep our customers safe while developing these novel services. In a given day, you might be inspecting an application’s code for security issues, building a new framework to help our software developers build faster and more securely, or fine-tuning the design for a new service alongside its software developers.
The ideal candidate combines technical acumen with an ability to lead by influence and communicate clearly. Technically, this person will be a security generalist with one or more areas of deep expertise. In their communication, they will clearly articulate risks to technical and non-technical audiences alike. Interpersonally, successful candidates will effectively harmonize disparate opinions while effectively prioritizing risks to guide their partners towards secure solutions.
Our organization prizes its employees, and we show it through investing in work-life harmony. We have dedicated resources that consistently innovate in reducing on-call time and ensuring the team spend their time on the highest-value tasks. Join the stores AppSec organization to work hard, have fun, and make history!
Key job responsibilities
* Creating, updating, and maintaining threat models for a wide variety of software projects
* Development of security automation tools
* Adversarial security analysis using cutting-edge tools to augment manual effort
* Security training and outreach for internal development teams
* Security architecture and design guidance
* Independently solve security problems that require novel methods or approaches
* Influence your team’s and partners’ process, priorities, and choices to improve outcomes
A day in the life
In a day in this role, you could be collaboratively coding authorization tests with a developer, strategizing how to move a deeply heterogenous application family to a greater security posture, or diving deep into our data to understand what key controls are hardest for our developers to achieve.
On the other hand, you could be creating a wrapper library to help our developers call APIs securely, or just working with a junior engineer to help them assess if evidence a dev provided actually fulfills one of our key controls.
About the team
Our team is building an enhanced security program to address the needs of our most-critical applications. We define the controls these apps need to include, build tools and frameworks to ensure it's easy to create secure apps, and overall collaborate with builders to make the world's most secure applications.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
New York, NY, USA
* BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
* Minimum of 3 years of experience with at least two of the following: threat modeling experience, secure coding, identity management and authentication, software development, cryptography, penetration testing, cloud security, mobile security, and network security
* Intermediate knowledge and understanding of security engineering, system and network security, authentication and security protocols, cryptography, or application security
* Experience reading and writing in at least one programming language
* You demonstrate excellent judgement in assessing and prioritizing technical risk
* You have a strong application security background with a focus on scalable solutions
* You have experience building and securing complex AWS architecture
* You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
* You work to identify and remove bottlenecks for your teammates, both in process and technology
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $135,500/year in our lowest geographic market up to $212,800/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.