Strategy & Planning Manager, AWS Marketing
Amazon Web Services (AWS), a subsidiary of Amazon.com and a leader in cloud computing, is seeking a talented and experienced strategy, insights, and analysis professional. The professional will work within the highly strategic function of planning and analysis for the Global Marketing Programs org.
The Planning and Analysis team works directly with our leadership team to drive strategic initiatives and shape the overall long-range marketing strategy for the business. This role is a thought leader within AWS Marketing. They identify and evaluate strategic business opportunities, including new initiatives and partnerships. They lead cross-functional teams across marketing to assess these opportunities and build a fact basis for decision-making.
As part of this highly visible team, the person in this role will support AWS’s marketing investment decisions working across program owners, Finance, measurement teams, customer research, and strategy and ops teams. They will make recommendations on where we should be making investments, discern what’s working effectively for our marketing portfolio, and identify optimization opportunities. They will also participate and lead business reviews and strategy sessions with our business partners as a subject-matter expert and offer insights to inform strategic decision-making to our stakeholders.
The ideal candidate inherently enjoys diving deep into complex yet highly ambiguous problems and can make convincing, data-based, and logical arguments with strong judgment. The candidate should have excellent communication skills, work effectively with cross-functional teams and thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. They must demonstrate hypothesis-driven, problem-solving orientation and ability to support a thesis with quantitative and qualitative analysis, high degree of business judgement, and appropriate framing of unstructured, complex business problems. A Manager should demonstrate a high level of judgement and be able to influence higher levels of management.
Key job responsibilities
• Build structure and approach to ambiguous and complex analytical problems and translate analysis into actionable insights and recommendations for the business
• Leverage internal and external data sources to analyze and synthesize industry trends, competitive dynamics, and customer insights to highlight opportunities to improve brand equity, customer growth, and perceptions
• Develop approaches to assess the impact of AWS marketing across channels and its effectiveness in creating a favorable selling environment and driving business growth
• Evaluate new marketing opportunities by modeling performance reflecting plausible scenarios or illustrating the limits of tolerable risks.
• Evaluate the performance of current business operations and recommend strategies and tactics to achieve business goals
• Partner with other analytics teams and finance to continually improve measurement methodologies, synthesizing multiple points of view in a simple, clear manner
• Sound business judgment, a proven ability to influence others, strong analytical skills, and a proven track record of taking ownership, leading data-driven analyses, and influencing results
• Present findings and recommendations to the senior leadership team
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Boston, MA, USA | New York, NY, USA | San Francisco, CA, USA | Seattle, WA, USA
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or comparable field of study.
- 8+ years of experience in business or marketing strategy, planning, consulting, corporate strategy and development, or operations
- Exhibits sound business judgment, strong analytical skills, and a proven track record of taking ownership, leading data-driven analyses, and influencing results
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience leading in a fast-paced and high-scale organization
- Excellent written and oral communications skills (including structured thinking and attention to detail) with experience communicating and presenting with senior executives
- Proven success juggling multiple projects in an environment where priorities constantly shift
- Experience running strategy engagements and measuring effectiveness in B2B space
- Ability to measure, test, learn and iterate in order to get the best results possible
- Track record successfully navigating ambiguous situation
- A leader with a proven track record of influencing across a matrix organization and delivering results
- Experience creating financial models to assess long-term value of investments
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $112,800/year in our lowest geographic market up to $186,500/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.