Customer Experience Manager
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
Artsy is seeking a Customer Experience Manager to provide world class customer support to our growing marketplace. This role will report to the Customer Experience Lead based in London. This full-time role is based in New York City. We are a hybrid company and office attendance on Tuesday and Thursday is expected.
This is not your typical customer support role – every day is different, there is no script! In this role, you will be the first point of communication for all queries across Artsy’s community, including collectors, gallery partners, and art enthusiasts. You will solve the novel problems that arise from the digital transformation of the art industry, and provide support that is as unique as the items we sell.
Our team tackles queries ranging from straightforward troubleshooting to highly complex orders, refunds, and shipping queries. Often, there won’t be a clear answer to a customer’s problem – our ambitious and evolving team will rely on you to be curious, use your judgment, and seek out the answers you need to solve complex customer issues. You will work in one of the most cross-functional roles at Artsy, collaborating regularly with account managers, the marketing team, and product and engineering to continually improve Artsy’s customer experience. To be successful, you will thrive working through ambiguity, are an excellent communicator, remain calm under pressure, and are an expert problem solver.
As a Customer Experience Manager, you will be a senior representative of the Customer Experience team. As such, you will be an essential part of the escalation process and communicate with internal teams as well as our third party vendors. While not a line management role, as a Customer Experience Manager, you'll lead by example and provide guidance, support, and expertise to Associates in the team regarding their workload, or more complex or escalated tickets. You will be a primary contact for internal teams and your knowledge of problem solving and teamwork will be put to the test every day.
What You’ll Do:
- The team work a regular work schedule of either 9-5 / 10-6 / 11-7, Monday to Friday or Tuesday to Saturday – this might be subject to change throughout the year.
- Manage a high volume of tickets across channels (email, live chat, phone) to fully resolve customer inquiries. Once fully trained, you should expect to handle approximately 700 emails per month. Performance will be measured by CSAT (customer satisfaction score), volume, and response time – you are comfortable working in a KPI driven environment and resolving customer inquiries end to end.
- Manage and coach the team on complex or escalated tickets. Seek advice from your manager on high value or edge cases occasionally.
- Devise strategic solutions to the complex issues or escalations that arise when buying, selling, and shipping fine art in 30+ different countries and at price points spanning hundreds, thousands, and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Comfortable talking to clients and internal colleagues even when a resolution is not clear. Know when to seek advice from senior colleagues or your manager.
- Care deeply about our customers and are committed to upholding the highest standard for support.
- Actively contribute to the team culture, knowledge, and high standard. Proactively represent the team and contribute ideas in department meetings.
- Comfortable sharing feedback directly with customers and colleagues, as well as bringing ideas to the product team for solutions – advocate for change for recurring feedback themes.
- Be an expert on Artsy’s rapidly evolving products; contribute to updating our help center, templates, playbooks, and macros to keep pace with these changes.
- Understand and apply Artsy’s policies with a high level of discretion; know when to be firm and when to be accommodating. Lean into our playbooks and documentation, whilst knowing when to use your best judgment on a situation.
- Work closely with cross functional teams internally such as Collector Services and Trust & Safety to ensure a safe, transparent and frictionless user experience – Artsy is a safe and joyful place to buy and sell art.
- Lean into Artsy’s values to help guide through best practices. Owning your outcomes and applying Impact Over Perfection is key for success in this role.
Who You Are:
We welcome you to apply regardless of “checking all the boxes” below, and are excited to hear what you can bring to the team.
Previous Customer Experience:
- Your background includes a proven history in a digital / online customer facing role (e.g. customer support, customer experience, or customer service)
- You have experience working at high volumes, within a fast paced environment where not all answers are clear or templated
- You are passionate about creating a world class customer experience and have a track record of going the extra mile for customers
- Our values speak to you – especially Own our Outcomes and Impact over Perfection for ticket management, Transform Together for our team workflows, and you lean into Lead with Openness for knowledge sharing and team meetings.
Escalations & Training:
- You bring a track record of helping colleagues with escalations, and are comfortable coaching and training others.
- As a reliable & trusted senior member of the team, you proactively look for ways for the team to improve and bring solutions to your manager. You are confident in making decisions and proactively work to improve any knowledge gaps.
Communication & Collaboration Skills:
- This role is all about communication: you should have a natural ability to to talk to clients and internal collaborators. You are passionate about creating joyful experiences and seeing a query through to full resolution. You have high levels of discretion and are able to handle highly sensitive customer information with care.
- You bring your personality to work – we don’t use blank templated responses as a default, our team responds to customers in a personalized way, meaning you have the ability to decide how best to tackle a situation! You have the safety of robust playbooks and templates to fall back on.
Problem Solving & Emotional Resilience:
- You have excellent problem solving skills and find simple solutions to complex situations.
- You are comfortable managing ambiguity – our team is on the front line tackling a variety of inquiries from art collectors, new customers, gallery partners, shipping partners and internal teams. You will have the freedom to experiment, take risks, or try something new to solve a customer’s problem.
- You deal well with change and have a curious mindset. You adapt quickly and embrace new challenges and processes.
- You are able to think on your feet and make decisions without having all the upfront information.
- You work with velocity to make quick and impactful decisions whilst maintaining a high level of accuracy & professionalism, you are able to make your work simple & clear.
- You are calm under pressure and can work through large volumes of tickets with ease.
You are currently authorized to live and work in New York City.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: our culture of trust and empowerment allows employees to take the time they need away from work while still excelling in their roles
- We are a global hybrid team: most employees work from home several days per week and come into our NYC, London, or Berlin offices flexibly based on team or role needs (in-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Comprehensive healthcare & benefit options, including: medical, dental, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program featuring free mental health support, 401k, commuter benefits, flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), financial wellness support & resources, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
The salary range for this role is $55,000-$72,000. This role is eligible for overtime. Artsy is committed to equitable compensation practices, and your offer will depend on the relevant experience and skillset you bring to the team.
All compensation packages include meaningful Artsy equity and competitive health benefits. Please see our “What We Offer” above for more detail, or speak to our Recruiter to learn more!
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.