Senior Search Engineer - Artificial Intelligence Group
Senior Search Engineer - Artificial Intelligence Group
New York, NY
Posted Mar 23, 2023 - Requisition No. 114990
The Artificial Intelligence group is the central engineering group responsible for driving Machine Learning (ML) adoption at Bloomberg, with over 200 researchers and engineers working together to provide clients with the best-in-class news, research, market data, and analytics using innovative machine learning technology. We directly impact a wide variety of our flagship products including news, research, pricing, communications platforms, search, and discovery. We work in a variety of ML fields, including natural language processing, information retrieval, time series analysis, and recommender systems.
The AI group is expanding rapidly. We are seeking a skilled Search Engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in software development, coupled with a passion for Search. You will work with us on building technologies and tools to make search on our platforms more accurate and more relevant, thus helping our clients to find the information and functionalities they need.
Join the AI Group as a Search Engineer and you will have the opportunity to:
- Handle millions of queries daily, making sure our backend is stable and clients receive the answers within stringent SLAs
- Architect backend APIs and produce reusable, efficient, maintainable code that works on different platforms, and scales to millions of requests
- Develop the next generation of federated search systems, learning to serve content that is relevant to our clients, sourcing results from multiple collections (Securities, Bonds, People, News, etc)
- Improve the way we understand user needs by working on our query understanding framework based on semantic parsing, named entity recognition, and entity linking
- Design and implement metrics that measure various aspects of our search experience and how they are improving over time
- Enhance client experience using state of the art in NLP and Information Retrieval along with our rich content sets to answer questions. (e.g., What is the price of facebook? What was the inflation in the UK last week?)
We'll trust you to:
- Collaborate with colleagues on production search systems, and write, test, and maintain production quality code
- Improve the performance and maintainability of our codebase
- Continuously improve our data pipelines, data management, and data hygiene best practices
- Optimize indexing time and query latency of our search systems
- Train and Evaluate search models and architectures
- Represent Bloomberg at conferences and open-source communities
- Demonstrate technical leadership by owning cross-team projects
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ Years of Experience working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- An honest approach to problem-solving, and ability to collaborate with peers, stakeholders, and management
We'd love to see:
- Hands-on experience with search engine technologies (e.g., Apache Solr, ElasticSearch, Vespa, FAST, or Lucene) or a demonstrated interest in learning
- Experience interacting with non-technical stakeholders
- Experience with A/B testing
- Previous experience working on search backends or improving search user experience (e.g., through relevance, recommendations, or question answering)
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are. In the meantime, check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/ai
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.
We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus