Senior Software Engineer - API Governance
Senior Software Engineer - API Governance
New York, NY
Posted Jul 13, 2023 - Requisition No. 117588
The Senior Software Engineer - API Governance will be a part of a team that manages the development and implementation of the API governance program at Bloomberg. This individual will work closely with cross-functional teams, including engineering, product, and other stakeholders, to participate in defining and executing the API strategy and roadmap. They will also be responsible for driving the adoption of API best practices, standards, and processes across the organization, building tools that automate compliance to standards, as well as managing the developer relationship program.
Our group has a charter to empower developers here at Bloomberg to build and support well governed API’s for their products. Our platform supports various API projects that unlock financial data for clients across the global capital markets. Our engineers are responsible for the end-to-end developer experience for both our peers on Bloomberg API product teams that develop Bloomberg APIs and the technologists in Bloomberg client firms that consume them. We also build and maintain an API gateway as well as multiple middleware infrastructure components that enable developing and deploying OpenAPI & GraphQL based API’s. As a critical, and strategic part of Bloomberg connectivity infrastructure, we aim for a world-class user experience across the full API lifecycle.
- Execute the API governance program strategy and roadmap
- Define and implement API standards, best practices, and processes
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify and prioritize API development and integration opportunities
- Stay up-to-date with industry best practices and trends in API governance
- Monitor and measure API performance and usage
- Build and maintain tools that validate API best practices
- Manage the developer relationship program, including onboarding, training, and support for external developers
- Continuously improve the API governance process through data-driven decision making and experimentation
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency in at least one programming language
- Strong understanding of API design and development best practices
- Experience with distributed systems and service architectures
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- An awareness of OpenAPI, JSON Schema, Spectral, and other API specifications
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.
We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus