Opinion Data Journalist
Opinion Data Journalist
New York, NY
Posted Oct 20, 2023 - Requisition No. 121010
Bloomberg Opinion is seeking a Data Journalist in New York to lead the research and reporting efforts that are the foundation of great data visualizations.
In this role, you’ll collaborate with a global group of columnists on data-centered pieces aimed at answering the biggest questions of the moment. They’ll bring ideas, leads and domain expertise and you’ll bring qualitative research skills and technical prowess to wrangle data and interpret it. Assignments will include commentary tied to breaking news as well as more thematic feature work – with all of it tied to core coverage areas such as business, economics, finance, technology, politics and culture.
Your work will reach audiences who deeply value data-driven journalism, from the subscribers of the Bloomberg Terminal and Bloomberg.com to the millions that we reach on Instagram, Twitter/X and TikTok.
Our team is highly collaborative and we value people who are motivated to work with others and pitch in when news breaks. You don’t have to be an expert at everything, but you should have a skillset that enables you to tell creative and bold visual stories. We welcome experience with mapping, 3D, motion graphics, illustration, or any creative technology that helps us explore innovative narrative forms.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Pitch and report smart, accurate and timely data-rich stories
- Partner with columnists to acquire, clean and analyze data for larger newsroom projects.
- Work with the graphics team to explore and prepare data for maps, charts and other data visualization projects.
- Assist with code review and methodology checks on other data journalist’s work.
WHAT SKILLS YOU’LL NEED:
- Expertise in either Python or R is required. Bloomberg tools primarily rely on Python, so R users should have some familiarity with both languages.
- Data is at the heart of this role. You should have experience importing, cleaning and analyzing large data sets with code.
- You should have familiarity with using APIs to make data requests, including scheduled jobs.
- Web scraping skills, including familiarity with web scraping best practices, are a must.
- Familiarity accessing and working with databases. This could include proficiency with SQL and databases managers such as mySQL and PostgresSQL.
- Must have a working understanding of statistics, including tests for statistical significance and correlation.
- Working knowledge of Github, including familiarity with cloning a project, pushing/merging content to an existing repository, and using Git commands the command line.
- Familiarity with the GSuite of applications, including Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Golab.
- Experience rendering graphics in the browser with SVG and/or Canvas
- Strong visual design skills with solid understanding of layout, typography and user experience
- Familiarity with design software such as Adobe Creative Cloud
- Familiarity with spatial analysis using GIS tools like QGIS or ESRI ArcMap is a plus.
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at: https://www.bloomberg.com/company/careers/working-here/news-and-research/?tactic-page=588594
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.
We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 115,000 - 140,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus