Healthcare Privacy Counsel
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
We are seeking a deeply thoughtful, hardworking, emotionally intelligent, organized and pragmatic attorney who is excited to serve as Cityblock’s Privacy Counsel. This role will be joining Cityblock’s legal team at a critical point in the company’s growth trajectory and will report to the Sr. Counsel - Regulatory who leads our regulatory vertical in the legal department. This role will:
- Serve as an internal expert on all relevant federal and state healthcare and employee privacy laws
- Answer day to day privacy related questions and provide proactive guidance when launching in new markets
- Drive implementation of the Company’s Privacy Program and work with the privacy committee
- Lead incident response team on investigating and reporting privacy incidents, and collaborating with Compliance & Security teams; facilitate breach notification process and response with Government officials and/or plan partners
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to design privacy trainings and privacy awareness campaigns
- Draft and/or revise all privacy related policies and procedures and update as scheduled and/or as necessary to comply with new laws
- Manage outside counsel on privacy related matters
- Closely partner with the Health Information Management, Security and Data teams on all security and data governance related matters
- Advise on other general regulatory matters as needed
Requirements for the Role:
- You have a JD (required) and are barred in at least one state with the ability to register as in-house counsel in New York.
- CIPP/US, CIPM, CHPC, RHIA or similar privacy certifications
- 5-7 years of relevant privacy law experience; preferred experience in-house with a hybrid/decentralized privacy program
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Radical candor and comfortability working within an often ambiguous, high growth environment
- Exceptional time management and communication skills
- Mission driven to serve an organization dedicated to bringing novel care delivery models to underserved populations
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and LinkedIn profile
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.
We take into account an individual’s qualifications, skillset, and experience in determining final salary. This role is eligible for health insurance, life insurance, retirement benefits, participation in the company’s equity program, paid time off, including vacation and sick leave, and any other tax-reportable benefits. The expected salary range for this position is $176,776 - $202,030. The actual offer will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by relevant business considerations, including the final candidate’s qualifications, years of experience, skillset, and geographic location.
Medical Clearance (for Member-Facing Roles):
You must complete Cityblock’s medical clearance requirements, which include, but may not be limited to, evidence of immunity to MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, and a TB screen, or have an approved medical or religious accommodation that precludes you from being vaccinated against these diseases.
Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.