Compensation Partner - New York
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
Cockroach Labs is looking for a Compensation Partner to build strong, transparent cross-functional partnerships, and support the successful administration of compensation programs and how we attract and retain global talent. You will support the Compensation function directly, working closely with the People Operations team to identify and address compensation issues and evangelize our total rewards program and compensation philosophy, with cross-functional partners across Recruiting, Finance, Legal.
- Support the implementation, administration, communication, and education of all global total compensation programs across the US and Canada, EMEA, and APAC.
- Support semi-annual compensation review cycles, including training and education, manager planning, and compensation system management and administration. Ensure data integrity across all systems.
- Provide compensation expertise to key partners including HR Business Partners, Recruiting, Legal, Finance, and Leadership across the company on compensation-related questions, issues, and compliance.
- Collaborate with recruiting on company offer philosophy, and be a strategic partner on compensation recommendations for complex job offers.
- Independently manage reports and analytics, ensuring accuracy and timeliness. Provide ad hoc recommendations according to our internal frameworks, methodologies, and philosophy.
- Analyze external market data and benchmark trends to monitor our competitiveness and pay practices, and complete market survey submissions.
- Serve as a data-minded resource for the HR team; manage compensation reporting metrics, tools, and data to ensure accuracy and inform business decisions.
- Effectively communicate the company's compensation philosophy and strategy to internal stakeholders, ensuring a clear understanding of how compensation programs align with values and business objectives. Translate complex compensation concepts into accessible information to foster alignment and engagement across all levels of the organization.
- Implement and maintain compensation resources (internal wikis, education, communications) to strengthen knowledge and understanding of total rewards and compensation programs, processes, and initiatives.
- Respond to general questions regarding compensation programs, practices, and systems with a sense of urgency.
- Contribute to compensation and cross-functional HR projects as needed.
In your first 30 days, you will learn our current compensation philosophy and where we are with our approach to compensation today. Immersing yourself in existing resources around our philosophy, strategy, and programs will be a priority. You will partner directly with the People Operations and Recruiting teams to ensure we attract and retain our talent through our compensation practices and programs. You will also lead the analysis of external market data compared to internal ranges.
In your next 30 days, you’ll start running processes. This includes offer reviews in partnership with recruiters, HR, and finance partners. You’ll be engaging with those stakeholders and implementing any efficiencies uncovered to streamline existing processes. You will take on admin rights in our compensation planning tool (Pave) and current HRIS (Bamboo), and will lead the system administration for the Pulse compensation review. You will ensure you have the tools, data, and resources in place to support an effective global compensation program, and point out improvements as we continue to scale.
After 3 months, you’ll be fully integrated into the team. You will have gained the knowledge to position yourself to be a trusted partner. You should be an evangelist for our total rewards programs and compensation philosophy at Cockroach Labs.
- At least 5 years in HR or People Analytics, with at least 3 years experience in a compensation role.
- Expertise in Excel and Google Sheets, and ability to build and support compensation models and metrics.
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential information with total discretion.
- Ability to thrive and adapt in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to listen and empathize with others and anticipate, respond, and pivot to both the employees’ and the business’s needs.
- Resilience and are a go-getter who can own a project with varying levels of instruction and run with it.
- Understanding of total cash and/or equity compensation preferred.
- Experience in a global, pre-IPO technology company preferred.
Reports to Amelia Skagias - Manager, Compensation
Amelia leads the Compensation team, and is responsible for designing Total Compensation strategies to attract and retain top talent. She leads all Total Compensation initiatives and ongoing activities, including Board of Directors proposals, bi-annual compensation review cycles, market data analyses and range setting, and close partnership with recruiting. Amelia currently lives in Brooklyn, was raised in Buffalo, NY and lived in Boston, MA prior to NYC. Outside of work, Amelia enjoys traveling, spending time in nature, painting, and playing board games.
As part of the People team division, you will work closely with Lindsay Grenawalt, Chief People Officer, and across Recruiting and People Operations & Development (inclusive of HR Operations, HR Business Partners and Talent Development, and Benefits) teams.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $90,000 to $120,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.