Senior Staff Curriculum Developer - New York, NY
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
What you build and where it takes you shouldn't be limited by the capabilities of your database. We created CockroachDB to be the most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet. Making scale so simple, you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient, it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database—one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
About the Role
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and CockroachDB is a leader for large-scale distributed SQL workloads.
We're looking for experienced engineers interested in helping us build the best technology education program in the industry. Our ideal candidate is a senior software developer who also loves to teach. You've built non-trivial applications. But you also have a passion for explaining technical concepts in just the right way.
This is a unique role because it combines teaching and software engineering. You'll design highly technical self-paced courses online and instructor-led training courses with hands-on exercises to help people get the most out of CockroachDB products. You'll also become a CockroachDB expert. When applying, please let us know in a few words why you'd be a good fit. Polymath developer? Technology geek? Hacker who loves to speak and write? If any of these descriptions fit, then we'd love to hear from you!
- Evaluate training requirements by product and user role, and turn those requirements into courses with clearly defined learning objectives and learning paths.
- Design, develop, and maintain course materials. Course materials include hands-on coding exercises, presentation content, video storyboards, student and instructor guides, demo scripts, quizzes and assessments.
- Use feedback and survey data from students, instructors and Cockroach Labs field engineering teams to create new courses and improve existing courses.
- Build “train-the-trainer” materials to enable Cockroach Labs instructors around the world to deliver our training courses effectively.
- Learn about new product features and teaching methods, collaborating with the Cockroach Labs product engineering and field engineering teams to create engaging, accurate, in-depth educational material.
- Continually look for ways to extend and improve our courses to support new products and features, and to enhance the learning experience for students and their instructors.
Within 3 months:
- Complete new hire onboarding and technical training to acquire hands-on technical knowledge of Cockroach Labs products, their specific capabilities and use cases.
- Via new hire training and shadowing, acquire a deep knowledge of CockroachDB instructor-led training offerings, student personae and learning objectives.
- Comfortable with creating and releasing new / updated training content, given a course outline with defined learning objectives.
Within 6 months:
- Architecting and designing new and updated training offerings.
- Own the end-to-end production of one or more training offerings.
- With the broader Curriculum team, contribute to refining processes and tooling to drive increased development velocity and quality of instructor-led training content.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. We value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at Cockroach Labs, and help us make an impact on the world!
- A Bachelor’s or advanced degree in computer science or a related engineering discipline, or equivalent experience in a software or technology-related field.
- Aptitude and attitude are more important than credentials.
- You are highly skilled with modern software development practices and infrastructure.
- Experience using one or more database technologies. Knowledge of CockroachDB is a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated experience in at least two of the following areas: teaching, technical content development, public speaking, technical writing.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A “can-do” attitude, and the ability to work collaboratively with all members of the curriculum development team and training delivery staff.
- Ability to manage time effectively, to complete tasks on a deadline, and to effectively communicate project status and risks as timelines evolve.
- You enjoy self-driven exploration and education on new technologies and languages, and can adapt innovative technologies and learn quickly in a fast-paced environment.
Reporting to Doug Weatherbee - Director of Training
The CockroachDB mission is to make data easy. Doug makes sure we build the training counterpart to that mission: Make learning CockroachDB easy and intuitive. Doug’s been passionate about developer training for over twenty years: for the first 15 years, he was a Java EE & IBM WebSphere instructor, curriculum developer and writer and near the end of those 15 years, a Scala programming language and Akka distributed computing trainer. During the past 6 years, he’s led creative teams of other technical curriculum engineers building cloud-native developer content at Red Hat (OpenShift, Kubernetes, Quarkus microservices, Istio Service Mesh) and Lightbend (makers of Scala and Akka and Reactive Architecture pioneers). In off hours, he’s probably walking by the ocean in Nova Scotia, riding an ebike on the Acadian dykelands or playing and composing music.
- Competitive Health Insurance Coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $160,000.00 - $220,000.00, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.