UI / UX Design Subject Matter Expert
We are NYC based, but remote friendly unless specified.
Hello, World! Codecademy is on a mission to build inspiring careers in technology through engaging, accessible, and interactive online coding education.
Our learners have gone on to start new jobs, launch new companies, and lead new lives thanks to their work with Codecademy, and our platform has transformed the way businesses develop and retain their teams.
Since 2011, our team has grown to over 200 employees serving 50+ million learners from 190+ countries. We’ve raised over $82M in venture capital funding from top investors including Prosus, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more--which gives us the capital to get stuff done in an impactful way.
Join us to help build a business that empowers tens of millions of people to lead better lives!
Codecademy is looking for an expert UI / UX designer or academic to provide guidance as we complete our newest course. The Subject Matter Expert provides the Codecademy Curriculum team with specialized, up-to-date, nuanced insight into UI and UX Design and how they should be taught. This is a paid, remote, contract position, with a typical commitment of 3-5 hours per week.
- Jump right in and review the lessons, quizzes, projects, and other content items that other members of the Curriculum team create
- Provide complex technical and pedagogical insights in such a way that other team members—and, ultimately, Codecademy learners—can understand
Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience as a professional UI and/or UX designer
- Extensive knowledge of UI/UX design through real-world experience
- Strong graphic design foundations mindful of typography, color usage, visual hierarchy, etc.
- Experience in user research methodologies and tools
- A strong understanding of design principles
- Experience in Figma, Miro
- The ability to provide clear, actionable, and empathetic feedback and explanation
- A strong command of written and spoken English
- 10+ years of experience
- Experience in both UI and UX design and education
- Experience teaching UI and/or UX and related concepts specifically
- Experience in online education at scale
- Experience using the Codecademy platform
With your application and resume please submit a link to a portfolio that showcases your UI / UX work and experience.
Target hourly rate for this job requisition is anticipated to be $75 hourly.
Codecademy has helped over 45 million people learn to code. Join one of the most exciting technology companies in New York as we change the way people learn and advance their careers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.