Tax Manager, State & Local
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Tax Manager, State & Local will be responsible for day to day operations and oversight of the state and local tax function, including income tax, franchise tax, gross receipts tax, sales & use tax, and property tax. This role will be an integral part of the Coinbase tax operations team and will also work closely with the greater Coinbase Finance team.
The Coinbase tax operations team ensures that Coinbase complies fully with its tax obligations in all of its global operations, provides for taxes accurately and completely in its financial statements and supports its business operations to ensure an optimal and efficient tax structure. We are a team passionate about tax and crypto, and looking for an ideal candidate to join our team.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Oversee income tax, sales & use tax, gross receipts tax, franchise tax, premium tax, unclaimed property, and property tax returns and filings.
- Manage state & local tax audits and litigation; identify potential state tax risks and develop mitigation strategies.
- Help identify opportunities for state tax planning/savings or local incentives.
- Oversee multiple state tax audits and provide responses to notices and information requests;evaluate potential audit risks and negotiate settlements with auditors.
- When necessary, collaborate with the broader Coinbase Tax team and/or outside counsel on state tax matters not settled at the audit level throughout the protest/appeals process and litigation.
- Oversee state apportionment and state effective tax rate calculations for quarterly provision calculations; collaborate with the broader Coinbase tax operations team to ensure calculations are appropriately integrated into Coinbase’s global tax provision.
- Prepare detailed utilization models with respect to the Company’s state & local deferred tax attributes.
- Work with the Coinbase tax operations team to ensure that material state related tax matters are accounted for correctly during the close process.
- Managing the state tax filing calendar to ensure timely and accurate reporting and payments of Coinbase’s tax position across the multiple jurisdictions.
- Execute, maintain and constantly improve Coinbase’s state tax processes, automation and controls.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 7+ years of relevant tax experience, ideally with a mix at both a Big 4 accounting firm and in industry
- Significant experience with the preparation and review of state & local tax returns
- Technical tax experience
- Excellent speaking and communication skills while working with business teams and explaining tax concepts to both tax and non-tax audiences
- Outstanding detail-orientation and process-orientation skills
- Collaborative and positive orientation
- Willingness to pivot and learn
Nice to haves:
- Experience with One Source Tax Provision and Tax Compliance
- Crypto industry experience
- Law Degree or legal training
Job #: P53334
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.