Engineering Manager, Data
At Current, we’re on a mission to enable our members to create better financial outcomes for themselves. Headquartered in NYC, we’re a leading U.S. fintech and one of the fastest growing companies with nearly 4 million members. No matter your title, we’re a team that collaborates on building great products and making an impact together.
Current’s Engineering team is dedicated to building our products, infrastructure, and tooling. Our data stack is JVM-based, with streaming and batch pipelines written in Scio, a Scala API for Apache Beam. We use Cloud Composer for workflow orchestration. Our machine learning models are currently trained and deployed with Vertex AI. We have multiple in-house data processing systems for managing real-time application personalization via both heuristics and ML models. Our analytics stack is BigQuery-driven, while our production data-processing is done mostly on protobuf and avro files in Google Cloud Storage. Our microservices use various persistence layers depending on the needs of the specific system, including PostgreSQL, Cloud Spanner, Neo4J, and MongoDB.
We are looking for a Data Engineering Manager to join our Data team in New York. This role has a salary range of $185,000 - $265,000. You will work to lead the delivery of key business initiatives, improve existing architecture and services, and design large-scale data-intensive applications with a strong focus on data processing and infrastructure. You will be hands-on, leading your team by example and defining the standards of engineering excellence. The ideal candidate should have at least 1 year of management experience. In addition, they should have a background in backend development and experience working with cloud-hosted services.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Leadership responsibilities for an engineering team. Responsibility for the people in that team, as well as their delivery of features and enhancements.
- Owning end-to-end delivery of the infrastructure required to support data-driven feature development
- Ownership of ETL systems that distill billions of transactions into consumable records that drive accounting, analysis, and personalization
- The ability to help shape and define what it means to be a Data Engineer at Current
- A strong culture of code and architecture review
- Designing and delivering data-intensive applications with cutting edge techniques in:
- Large-scale batch processing
- Real-time streaming data
- Machine learning
- Evolving the company standards for using and processing data by helping to improve architecture, tooling, testing, and monitoring practices
- Professional managerial experience leading a team of software engineers
- Significant professional data engineering experience
- Production experience with a JVM language (preferably some Scala)
- Experience in large-scale data-processing frameworks like Spark or Beam
- Solid grasp of functional programming concepts
- Fluency in the core concepts and common patterns of modern Data and ETL systems
- Expertise in processing data in both SQL and cloud storage technologies like S3 and GCS.
- Proven understanding of data modeling, storage, and access
- Experience with cloud-hosted services, like AWS or GCP
- Meaningful equity in the form of stock options
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- Discretionary performance bonus program
- Biannual performance reviews
- Medical, Dental and Vision premiums covered at 100% for you and your dependents
- Flexible time off and paid holidays
- Generous parental leave policy
- Commuter benefits
- Fitness benefits
- Healthcare and Dependent care FSA benefit
- Employee Assistance Programs focused on mental health
- Healthcare advocacy program for all employees
- Access to mental health apps
- Team building activities
- Our modern Chelsea-based office with open floor plan, stocked kitchen, and catered lunches