Security Researcher - Linux Malware
The Security Research Team at Datadog, a leading force in Cloud Security, DevSecOps, and Threat Research. The team uses this research to improve the quality of Datadog’s portfolio of cloud security products, partner with cloud service providers to remediate vulnerabilities, and share their findings with the community. Our diverse team of hackers and builders pioneers impactful security products and research through cross-company collaboration, security community partnerships, and open-source initiatives.
As a Security Researcher specializing in Linux Malware Analysis, you will be a subject matter expert within Datadog's security product portfolio, focusing on enhancing protection against sophisticated threats targeting Linux-based cloud infrastructure. You will report directly to the Director of Security Research, driving strategic research areas, and contributing key insights to product and engineering teams. Your work will not only protect customers but also fuel new revenue streams and thought-leadership in the security community.
At Datadog, we place value in our office culture - the relationships and collaboration it builds and the creativity it brings to the table. We operate as a hybrid workplace to ensure our Datadogs can create a work-life harmony that best fits them.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead research projects focusing on Linux malware analysis, threat detection, and cloud-native security solutions.
- Transform malware insights into valuable intelligence, directly informing product enhancement and detection engineering
- Develop proof-of-concept services, tools, and simulations, particularly in Linux environments, to showcase new capabilities and protections.
- Collaborate with the Community team to create research content (blogs, webinars, conferences) and build external partnerships advancing global cybersecurity.
- Analyze tactics, techniques, and procedures for attacking and defending Linux-based cloud environments, using Datadog's detailed observability data.
- Serve as a Linux security expert for Product Management, Detection Engineering, and Engineering teams, assisting in product development and architecture.
- Conduct threat hunts in Linux environments, identifying and addressing potential security issues.
Who You Are:
- Advanced understanding of Linux OS internals, ELF file format, kernel behaviors, and system libraries.
- Proficiency in using tools like GDB, reverse engineering tools, and disassemblers.
- Familiarity with binary analysis and assembly languages (x86, x86-64, ARM).
- Competence in collecting and applying threat intelligence to address Linux-targeted malware threats.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, eBPF and knowledge of Linux security in cloud infrastructures.
- Strong ability in both static and dynamic malware analysis, identification, and behavior understanding for detection and mitigation.
- Skilled in Python, Bash, and other scripting languages for automating analysis tasks and tool creation.
- Knowledge of network protocols and traffic analysis, with experience in Linux-centric incident response.
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We understand not everyone will meet all the above qualifications on day one. That's okay. If you’re passionate about technology and want to grow your skills, we encourage you to apply.
Benefits and Growth:
- New hire stock equity (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan
- Continuous career development and pathing opportunities
- Product training to develop an in-depth understanding of our product and space
- Best in breed onboarding
- Internal mentor and buddy program cross-departmentally
- Friendly and inclusive workplace culture
Benefits and Growth listed above may vary based on the country of your employment and the nature of your employment with Datadog.
#LI-Remote This is a remote position
Datadog (NASDAQ: DDOG) is a global SaaS business, delivering a rare combination of growth and profitability. We are on a mission to break down silos and solve complexity in the cloud age by enabling digital transformation, cloud migration, and infrastructure monitoring of our customers’ entire technology stacks. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog is used by organizations of all sizes across a wide range of industries. Together, we champion professional development, diversity of thought, innovation, and work excellence to empower continuous growth. Join the pack and become part of a collaborative, pragmatic, and thoughtful people-first community where we solve tough problems, take smart risks, and celebrate one another. Learn more about #DatadogLife on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Datadog Learning Center.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Here are our Candidate Legal Notices for your reference.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.