Director, Tax Technology
About the Team
DoorDash is looking for an experienced Director (or possibly Senior Director), Indirect Tax Technology to join our growing Tax Team. This role will be a key contributor to the Tax Team and will be responsible for supporting the tax function and ensuring compliance with applicable tax laws and providing our Customers, Merchants, and Dashers an optimal tax experience.
As DoorDash continues to grow its global footprint across multiple business lines, we are looking for a candidate with a proven track record of leading a team of professionals, strong tax technology (including tax engine) implementation experience as well as project management and relationship building skills with cross-functional teams.
About the Role
This position will report to the VP of Tax and play an integral role in DoorDash’s Tax function. You will direct a team of professionals who manage the portfolio of indirect tax and related technology applications, reporting capabilities, and associated operational processes. You will also be responsible for interacting with other leaders in our Tax, Product and Engineering teams to support various tax technology initiatives.
As a leader on this team, you will be advising the Company on the design, implementation, and operation of tax solutions and related processes to support the Company’s exponential growth. You will also project manage important tax initiatives related to rollout of new tax functionality to support our existing lines and future lines of business. Programs will require a technical understanding of systems and general cross organization coordination/facilitation, stakeholder management, and ownership of results.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Plan for the growth of our indirect tax systems, including our Tax Engine, working closely with our enterprise wide technology teams.
- Research and analyze best practices for tax systems, processes and reporting strategies.
- Participate in new business initiatives and identify their impact on existing system(s) and processes;
- Lead/support the design and implementation of tax systems, ensuring projects are delivered on time and on budget.
- Support and manage large sets of data for compliance, internal reporting and planning.
- Identify and document business, functional and technical requirements to support new business initiatives and to enhance existing system functionality.
- Support and design analytical tools to meet indirect tax compliance needs.
- Support and direct a team of professionals to meet the Company’s indirect tax technology needs, including the maintenance of existing systems.
- Participate in the hiring process, including identifying staffing needs and drafting job descriptions.
We’re excited about you because…
- You have 10+ years of experience in a corporate tax department, public accounting or technology consulting firm or other related experience.
- You approach your job with a strong moral compass and integrity.
- Experience with indirect and other Taxes in the US and familiarity with other Countries Indirect tax regimes.
- You have participated in, and have a passion for, the development or improvement of a Tax Engine for collecting sales, VAT, GST and other indirect taxes.
- Hands-on experience implementing and configuring Vertex O Series, premise and/or on demand based, application. Experience with global implementations preferred, but not required.
- Experience in the use of Snowflake, Alteryx, SQL, and Postman API, is preferred.
- Large project management experience, including creation of project plans, milestones, and due dates.
- Experience with supporting the technology needs of other Tax types such as income and withholding taxes
- Direct engagement with Engineering teams on product development with an understanding of software development processes. Project planning and execution skills that include reviewing technical design documents, estimating, and scheduling.
- Highly organized and care about the details, and understand both the big picture and the details.
- Ability to mentor, grow and challenge a team of professionals.
- Experience in working in a fast paced, high growth environment.
- Have an Accounting, Finance, Information technology or Computer Science degree.
- You have a sense of humor, or at least a tolerance for those who think they do.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.
The location-specific base salary range for this position is listed below. Compensation in other geographies may vary.
Actual compensation within the pay range will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, skills, prior relevant experience, and specific work location. For roles that are available to be filled remotely, base salary is localized according to employee work location. Please discuss your intended work location with your recruiter for more information.
DoorDash cares about you and your overall well-being, and that’s why we offer a comprehensive benefits package, for full-time employees, that includes healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan including an employer match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid time off, paid parental leave, and several paid holidays, among others.
In addition to base salary, the compensation package for this role also includes opportunities for equity grants.