Senior Launch Engineer, Japan
- Sales and Account Management
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
As a Senior Launch Engineer in Japan, you help break down technical barriers to show high growth, high volume, and complex merchants how they can accelerate the growth of their business with Shopify. You will consult with merchants to onboard them to Shopify and optimise their ecommerce technology stack and business objectives, providing guidance on how to best leverage the Shopify platform and ecosystem. You will also advise on best practices around complex integrations and provide solutions to expedite their build time while setting them up for long-term success on our platform! It’s not a simple role, but an enormously rewarding one for the right individual.
Launch Engineers are Shopify advocates and represent the Shopify brand, values, and product. The role includes merchant-facing activities, including remote and on-site engagements with merchants and supporting community events. You'll be partnering with large Shopify Plus merchants across the Asia Pacific (APAC) region, predominantly in Japan and be a key source of insight to provide feedback to Shopify’s Product, Engineering and Revenue teams.
This position will report into the APAC Launch Engineering Lead
Requirements for the role
- An expert on commerce, Shopify, regional specific commerce applications, ecosystems, and integrations.
- Native Japanese language skills and business level English, including Enterprise level client communication skills.
- Great troubleshooting and analytical skills combined with the desire to tackle challenges head-on
- Understanding of commerce best practices, including how to migrate data from other platforms into Shopify
- A strong aptitude in stakeholder management, multi-layered solutioning, systems thinking, and navigating complex relationships
- Behaviours aligned with experimentation, learning, and teaching our growing enterprise customers, partner agencies, and internal teams
- Familiarity with web APIs (GraphQL), middleware development, and front end development
- Strong time management and prioritisation skills to support a portfolio of merchants
- Good project management mindset. This is not a true project management role, but does share some skills with it, especially managing expectations and creating alignment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to clearly articulate problems, solutions, and ideas
- The ability to thrive on change. We evolve at a rapid pace and things change quickly, even daily!
- A genuine care for the outcomes of our stakeholders and customers
Your responsibilities will include
- Educating merchants on proper store setup (domains, redirects, product taxonomy, building collections, shipping, etc)
- Advising merchants (including their development partners) on technical solutions for the best business success on the platform
- Exploring creative ways to develop on the platform and answering inquiries about our APIs
- Consulting with merchants on complex commerce functionality and business system integrations
- Helping our merchants to convert their store ideas into real and actionable plans
- Providing documentation & support during the store development phase
- Liaising with internal Shopify teams, such as the Shopify Plus Sales team, the Merchant Success team, Solutions Engineering, and our internal support team
- Progressing the site status so stores launch as efficiently as possible
- Being an advocate and trusted advisor for the merchant always, and by bringing your insights and knowledge to our product teams
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering
We hire people, not resumes. If you think you’re right for the role, apply now.
First things first
It looks like you might not be a great fit for Shopify at this time — while we encourge everyone to apply, we are looking for someone who can meet all these criteria.