- Trust and Security
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
- Recovering outstanding balances for Shopify through negotiation techniques with merchants in a professional and compliant manner. Currently, this is done via email.
- Being knowledgeable on all things Shopify Capital, Shopify Payments and other financial products and services.
- Perform analysis for multiple products with the goal of maximizing return while minimizing risk
- Working with internal and external stakeholders partners to coordinate and resolve issues
- Conducting deep dives with Shopify customers regarding their cash flow and negotiate repayment plans or settlement offers as appropriate
- Collaborate with your team to promptly assist merchants & respond to inquiries
- Must comply with applicable, laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Managing merchant escalations from our Support teams to deliver recommended solutions and guidance
- Provide continuous feedback for process improvement and automation opportunities
Requirements for the role:
- Experience with business to business collections and/or collections within a banking/Fintech environment
- Experience with case management systems and ecommerce platforms
- Strong, detail oriented written communication skills
- Proficiency in analyzing and interpreting reportsExperience with analyzing reports
- Strong relationship building abilities and a collaborative approach to achieve desired outcomes with peers
- Strong analytical and diagnostic skills Thrive in a fast-paced, high-volume environment with a geographically dispersed team
- Possess a high level of understanding, patience, and empathy. Able to navigate difficult interactions with professionalism.
- Dedicated to professional growth and ongoing learning. Ensure privacy and security practices are followed at all times for both merchants and Shopify.
- Have an appropriate remote work setup - such as quiet space, stable internet connection, and a back-up location in case of issues with the primary location
- Provide high quality work while having strong time management and prioritization skills
Bonus experience and skills
- An in depth understanding of the products that Shopify offers including Shopify Capital, Shopify Payments, Shopify Credit, Shop Pay Installments, and Plus subscriptions
- Experience with email marketing
- Experience processing legal documents
- Experience with preparing knowledge management resources
- Experience with SQL
- Additional language skills
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering
We hire people, not resumes. If you think you’re right for the role, apply now.
First things first
It looks like you might not be a great fit for Shopify at this time — while we encourge everyone to apply, we are looking for someone who can meet all these criteria.