Senior Fraud Operations Analyst
Senior Fraud Operations Analyst
- Trust and Security
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. We propel entrepreneurs and enterprises to scale the heights of their potential. Since 2006, we’ve grown to 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
Shopify's Trust team develops solutions to prevent, detect and mitigate bad actors as well as developing tooling to scale and streamline complex workflows. Our mandate is challenging, varied and constantly evolving.
Shop is on a mission to change how we shop online. From the fastest checkout experience in Shop Pay to all-in-one order tracking and easy ways to find and shop local brands in app, Shop is making shopping better one step at a time for both shoppers and the merchants they buy from.
To support our mandate we are looking to add a Senior Fraud Analyst to join our Trust team in support of the Shop App and Shop Cash products. As a Senior Fraud Operations Analyst, your mandate will be to build a robust plan to monitor and combat fraud. Working closely with operations, engineering, and product teams, you will become a subject matter expert on all things fraud. From identifying fraud vectors and detecting high risk patterns of behavior to keeping up to date on emerging trends and industry best practices, you will be responsible for contributing to Shopify’s fraud-related policies and monitoring to create a trustworthy product and mitigate financial losses.
In this role, you'll be responsible for:
- Identifying and developing fraud detection measures and mitigation strategies for Shop and Shop Cash
- Building monitoring and alerting systems to track the impact and continued effectiveness of platform controls and improving our ability to capture fraud signals
- Evaluating multiple data sets to surface patterns of fraud
- Communicating trends and remediation strategies to leaders across the Shop Team
- Owning financial reporting on the flow of funds and losses due to fraud
- Being an expert on fraud, inclusive of internal and external factors to stay ahead of both existing and emerging trends
- Located in the North America EST timezone
- Significant experience and demonstrated passion for researching and analyzing fraud vectors
- Knowledge of common fraud patterns and ability to think creatively to connect data points and proactively identify trends
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills. This means you have the ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences about complex situations using plain language
- Experience with databases and familiarity with data warehouses, using data to drive business decisions. You should possess advanced skills in data modeling and SQL.
- Comfort with ambiguity and obscurity. We’re operating in uncharted waters, and the existing frameworks aren’t always applicable
- A self-starter comfortable working with remote teams and in a highly independent role
- Endless curiosity and an ability to think outside the box
If you also had the following, we'd love to know about it!
- Experience in combating fraud within online marketplaces and effectively mitigating risks associated with rewards programs.
- Experience working cross functionally with Product, Eng and Data teams
The right person for this role will have significant experience in both business fraud and financial risk assessment. You should have a proven track record of solving ambiguous problems and getting things done at scale. An entrepreneurial spirit and ability to thrive in a startup environment are non-negotiables.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. We're looking forward to learning more about you and your interest in joining the team.
We hire people, not resumes. If you think you’re right for the role, apply now.
First things first
It looks like you might not be a great fit for Shopify at this time — while we encourge everyone to apply, we are looking for someone who can meet all these criteria.