Staff Content Designer
Staff Content Designer
- UX and Design
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. We propel entrepreneurs and enterprises to scale the heights of their potential. Since 2006, we’ve grown to 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
We’re looking for a Senior Content Designer on the Growth team to drive design and content design projects of a significant scope. For this role, we’re looking for someone with a creative vision that deeply understands content strategy, and can execute on highly complex projects and programs.
NOTE: Only applicants who submit a portfolio of design work alongside application will be considered.
About Shopify UX:
If you seek a team that shares your dedication and empowers you to do the best work of your life, you’ve found us at Shopify UX. The devotion of our industry-leading team isn’t just a job; it's our unwavering passion. We sweat the details, constantly striving to deliver exceptional experiences. Empathy drives us, immersing ourselves in a deep understanding of the entrepreneurial experience, delivering solutions that make our entire ecosystem of users feel seen, celebrated, and inspired. Creative courage fuels our innovation, encouraging bold ideas and embracing experimentation. Open collaboration, feedback, and critique are valued as we push each other to continuously improve. We embrace cutting-edge tools and methods, exploring AI-based technologies; empowering our team to skill up in areas that increase their knowledge and business impact. With curiosity and innovation, we deliver extraordinary value and embrace new creative challenges.
About the Monetazation team:
The Monetization teams objective is to establish a fair-value exchange, ensuring that both Shopify and our merchants benefit mutually from our services. We do this by offering plans, trials, and personalized incentives to encourage merchants to explore our services and find the ones that best suit them. Shopify needs a skilled content designer, preferably one with experience in monetization or pricing, to help our team craft clear and engaging messaging that drives merchant engagement and commitment.
- Design the language, concepts, models, and information architecture which form the foundation of a clear, intuitive and elegant user experience of our products or services.
- Deeply understand Shopify’s information space and have strong opinions about improving its structure, voice and concepts.
- Inspire your team. Constantly strive to provide knowledge and value to make the whole team better.
- Talk to users and immerse yourself in their business context.
- Leverage your craft knowledge to build great things, keeping up with the zeitgeist, the progress, and the tools of your trade to leverage what's meaningful to Shopify.
- Exhibit good judgment. Push the boundaries of what's possible—challenge existing standards and style guides if they no longer make sense.
- Treat project requirements as a minimum floor. Be ambitious about raising the ceiling.
- Don't settle on orthodox approaches, unless they happen to be ideal.
- You create user experiences that are coherent, declarative, tasteful, intuitive, and accessible.
- You’re obsessed with honing your craft: IA, terminology, semiotics, conversational design, and expression.
- You are an exceptional communicator and storyteller, helping your team and stakeholders grasp the extent of a problem, build empathy for the end user, and support your design rationale.
- You have a deep background in copywriting and writing for product.
- You can synthesize complex topics into easily digestible experiences.
- You can generate a lot of work quickly, and seek constructive design critique to learn continuously.
- You have a deep technical understanding of design collaboration tools.
- You know all the important details (user needs and business goals) and can offer thoughtful, constructive design critique beyond content.
- You’re resourceful and choose the most impactful tool and medium for the task at hand, aiming to do more with less
- You are experienced at interpreting experiments or tests, and leverage quantitative data to inform product and design decisions
- You have a growth mindset, a proactive approach to professional development, and a proven ability to lead through ambiguous problems.
- You have successfully mentored and guided others, empowering them to elevate their craft and expertise
- You are enthusiastic about leveraging new tools in AI and ML in your work
- Experience on a Monetization or Pricing team, an asset
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
We hire people, not resumes. If you think you’re right for the role, apply now.
First things first
It looks like you might not be a great fit for Shopify at this time — while we encourge everyone to apply, we are looking for someone who can meet all these criteria.