Director, Product Management
You’re responsible for ensuring the retention and growth of Expel’s customers by driving the product strategy for Expel’s flagship offering (MDR) and user experience platform (Workbench), amongst other products. You are a strong team leader with extensive experience in complex B2B products. You are skilled at defining and articulating a product vision and at driving awareness and alignment for that vision across the company. You see how the vision & capabilities for the Expel product can power business outcomes in a fast-growing company.. But you can’t (and shouldn’t!) do it alone - you rally your key collaborators in service delivery, engineering, CTO, program management and other product managers for the journey ahead. You’ve developed effective processes with product management and engineering leadership, and built cross-functional links with colleagues in sales, marketing, R&D, support, and operations. Your vision is coupled together with a roadmap that addresses current needs and anticipates the road ahead. You cut through complexity with consistent planning and relentless communication, and you get the value of evangelizing how our product differentiates Expel.
And the way you accomplish all of the above is by building, coaching and mentoring a team of Product Managers who help bring the product vision to life. You work magic by carrying the product banner aloft so the rest of the company can understand and get excited about not just the current product, but where it’s headed.
You have a view of progress that is measured by both internal and external adoption, and are guided by a metrics framework that allows folks who aren’t close to the technical details know which way is up and to the right. You’ve got the plot when regularly reviewing and reporting on variance on those metrics with help from engineering, finance, service delivery, CTO and others. When it comes time to pick a path, you can articulate the tradeoffs by forecasting which metrics you can move.
Expel is looking for a director of product management to lead a high-functioning team of product managers in support of our Workbench security operations platform. This role reports to the VP of product management.
What Expel can do for you
- Let you tap into a hugely underserved market that hasn’t gotten the attention it deserves
- Connect you with companies who truly want to get better at information security and are eager to share their perspectives
- Provide autonomy in the driver’s seat of a new and exciting capabilities
- Give you experience working in a startup environment with a team who truly cares about doing meaningful work
- Nurture your talent with a humane, collaborative team culture and a leadership team that’s got your back.
What you can do for Expel
- Spend time with our customers and ops team to understand their problems and work with them to come up with meaningful solutions
- Create a vision for the product that reduces customers’ time to value and improves analyst efficiency
- Tap into your insatiable attention for detail to provide our teams with the context they need to build an outstanding user experience
- See through the haze of feature requests and requirements to the underlying needs and opportunities that will make our customers successful
- Distill your ideas into a prioritized roadmap that, even though it makes us uncomfortable, we can execute on
- Keep your thumb on the pulse of the market, the players, the competition, and the changing tide.
- Ensure our strategic priorities are well-resourced for product managers, and clearly communicate trade-offs when there are more priorities than resources
What you should bring with you
- A curious, tenacious, and discerning mentality
- A strong understanding of information security -- technologies, products and services
- Familiarity with software engineering processes, from coding to software deployment & associated tools
- An uncanny ability to thread the needle between over-and under-specification based on audience and context
- A love for asking the right questions without "leading the witness"
- Ability to create accountability through clear expectations and regular feedback, and drive teams towards outcomes
- Comfort with ambiguity; the ability to find a path forward and lead others when the way forward is unclear, risky, or complex.
- Self-awareness, humility, resilience.
- Exceptional listening and conflict management skill
- A Bachelor’s degree or a compelling story
- 12+ years of professional experience, with at least 5 in Product Management
- 3+ years experience managing and building a product management team
- Experience in product leadership roles in companies at various growth stages / sizes
- Experience managing and launching new B2B products
- A background with services? Even better!
Pay range: $175,500.00 - $254,400.00 USD + bonus eligibility and equity.
We believe in paying transparently and equitably. Your salary will ultimately be based on factors such as your experience, skills, team equity, and market data. You’ll also be eligible for unlimited PTO (which we model and encourage), work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and really excellent health benefits.
We're only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We're an Equal Opportunity Employer: you’ll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.