Sr. Director, Product Marketing
You hit the nail on the head – for a living. And it's no accident. Over the years you've learned to build teams that look at each product through the customers’ eyes. It's what allows you to anticipate customer needs and deal-breakers. And that's gold to the sales team! Especially since you've got a knack for translating tricky concepts into clear benefits that strike a chord with buyers.
If you're looking to grow and nurture a team that markets a product that customers actually love ... and are passionate about selling products that inspire pride and gratitude, we should talk.
Not to brag, but we’re a breath of fresh air in an enterprise information security market that’s confusing, hostile and dominated by vendors focused on their widget instead of what customers actually want or need.
In this role, you'll manage a team that's responsible for Expel’s positioning, messaging and go-to-market strategy. The responsibilities stretch beyond product marketing. They'll also include solution marketing, technology partner marketing and analyst relations. And you'll work with whip-smart teammates! The ultimate goal? Make it easy for prospects to easily understand what we do and why they should (or shouldn’t) select Expel over our competitors.
What Expel can do for you
- Give you the opportunity to shine as you scale what we’ve already built, and open new directions for us to explore to create as many customers as we possibly can
- Surround you with collaborative sales, product and marketing teams that know the act of creating a long-term customer starts with building trust
- Give you a platform to unleash your creative potential, taking chances and seek new ways to tell our story and find new customers
- Surprise you with the capability of our team and our willingness to creatively support your efforts
What you can do for Expel
- Build, lead and nurture the Product Marketing team at Expel, including setting the strategic direction, hiring, coaching and developing the team
- Work hand-in-hand with product management and sales operations to make us great at launching new products
- Craft and own top-level positioning and messaging that fosters engagement with the customers we can help most
- Keep our product, sales and customer experience teams in synch on our go-to-market strategy as we expand our offerings and navigate rapid growth
- Define and refine our ideal customer profile and buying personas, so we know exactly who our best customers are and how they want to buy from us
- Create clear go-to-market goals and strategies so the broader marketing team can translate them into programs that build pipeline, awareness and happy customers in all the right places
- Create a process that keeps our sales toolkits evergreen with presentations, videos, datasheets, white papers, customer stories and persuasive web copy
- Own the tech partner marketing function and craft strategies that make them rave about us
- Build and nurture our already-strong relationships with analysts by engaging Expel’s exec team and technical wizards in the right conversations at the right time with the right analysts
- Make sure we know our competitors inside out so sales can walk tall when they face them and product management can close any gaps that customers care about
What you should bring with you
- Experience defining, building, growing and leading product marketing in a high-growth environment
- First-hand experience with the different shapes product marketing can take and a thoughtful approach to what it should like at Expel
- Examples of how you've creatively positioned a portfolio of products in the face of a crowded market with lots of noise and confusion
- Experience developing and managing the product launch process across a set of B2B technology products and/or services
- Solid understanding of information security, security tech, products and services such as endpoint detection and response (EDR), network security, SIEM and cloud security products
- Empathy for sales and a bias for sales messaging that "cuts through the marketing fluff" and leaves jargon on the cutting room floor
- Experience developing positive relationships that unite sales and product organizations
- 15 years professional experience with at least six in a product marketing, product management, or related role
- 3+ years demonstrated ability leading a team of at least 5 people
- Bachelor’s degree or a compelling story
The base salary for this role is $195,000 - $280,000 + bonus and equity.
At Expel, our employee benefits reflect our commitment to our crew. Unlimited PTO, equity for everyone, work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and excellent health benefits are some of the ways we care for our Expletives.
Our headquarters is in Herndon, VA office, though we're open to remote work locations for this role.
We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We're an Equal Opportunity Employer: You'll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.