VP of Engineering (Backend - Python)
Garner's mission is to transform the healthcare economy, delivering high quality and affordable care for all. By helping employers restructure their healthcare benefit to provide clear incentives and data-driven insights, we direct employees to higher quality and lower cost healthcare providers. The result is that patients get better health outcomes while doctors are rewarded for practicing well, not performing more procedures. We are backed by top-tier venture capital firms, are growing rapidly and looking to expand our team.
We are looking for a VP of Engineering to direct our backend organization and oversee the development of mission-critical systems built in Python and deployed on AWS using Kubernetes. This role reports directly to the Head of Engineering and will be a key member of the technology leadership team. The ideal candidate is an experienced people manager that can navigate complex technical problems with ease. They have delivered high-stakes systems in the past and they are excited to take ownership of mission-critical software in all aspects. They are keen to grow and develop the managers and contributors across their team and hold a high bar for organizational excellence.
This is a fully remote position.
- Direct the build and maintenance of software that supports our core business
- Collaborate closely with business stakeholders to shape our product
- Protect our users’ privacy and security by driving best practices across the organization
- Mentor and empower senior and staff engineers
- Grow engineering teams by interviewing, recruiting and hiring
Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, Postgres, ElasticSearch, NATS, AWS, Terraform
- 10+ years hands-on work building internal applications
- Proven work experience as an Engineering Manager
- Experience supervising a team of technical experts while making decisions related to engineering and software development
- Expertise in Python
- Comfortable leading research and development projects that produce new designs, products, and processes
- Ability to coordinate work with other managers and staff
- Experience working with message-oriented middleware, especially NATS
- Familiarity with healthcare or insurance
- Experience working in a team using agile methodologies and fluency with the agile toolkit
Why You Should Join Our Team:
- You are mission-driven and want to work at a company that can change the healthcare system
- You want to be on a small, fast-paced team that nimbly moves to meet new challenges
- You love ideating on new features and working with data to find new insights
- You’re excited about researching and working with the latest tools and technologies
The salary range for this position is $220,000 - $250,000 annually. Compensation for this role will depend on a variety of factors including qualifications, skills and applicable laws. In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible to participate in our equity incentive and competitive benefits plans.