Community Manager (New York - NY)
Community Manager (NYC, NY - Onsite)
The Learn team at Giant Machines, is looking for a passionate Community Manager to build relationships with area schools & families and supervise facilities for an after-school and weekend program embedded at a partner organization. You’d be joining a small but growing organization with established relationships at Google, the NYC Department of Education, Break Through Tech, and Sponsors for Educational Opportunity, as well as several of New York City’s most student-centered schools.
Giant Machines is a digital product agency based in NYC. We work with clients across a wide spectrum of industries including fintech, healthcare, real estate, insurance, public utilities, and environmental & social impact. Giant Machine’s product approach is lean, user-focused, design forward, and outcomes-driven. Our expertise encompasses design strategy and research, product strategy and management, user experience and visual design, and engineering and technology.
Our company is made up of passionate and creative people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to client work and team collaboration. Giant Machines is committed to a thriving society with a focus on racial and social justice, gender equality, and sustainable communities. We foster a culture of learning and awareness, facilitate group sessions to create a space for discussion and sharing, and align ourselves with client organizations, partners, and community outreach efforts that share our mission.
This role serves as the leader of assessing the needs, goals and interests of youth in the lab, and creating a local community by connecting with local nonprofits, schools, and other tech companies in the area. This role manages and leads the lab operations, including leading a team of coaches, site coordinator and volunteers, and works directly with students, teachers and parents to ensure that they are following our road map to success.
- Lead community building programming in the lab including community events, leadership in action, college & career prep etc.
- Manages the implementation and execution of all program pathways
- Develops and manage relationships with local nonprofits and schools
- Develop relationships with youth and their families and act as a broker to opportunities that build social capital
- Manages all systems and processes for student and participant tracking
- Key areas include but are not limited to:
- Student & Volunteer recruitment
- Program and Event Management
- Relationship Building with Local Partners
- Social Capital Building
- Coach Support
- Parent Engagement
A Community Manager assesses the needs, goals and interests of our youth. The Community Manager collaborates and works along with teachers, mentors, parents, community organizations and a network of advisors, tutors, coaches and mentors, to put students on a path that leads them to become a tech leader. The Community Manager serves as a role model and coach for students to accomplish their goals.
As a Community Manager you will work closely with the Site Coordinator, Coaches, youth, parents and community partners for the lab. A Community Manager assesses the needs, goals and interests of our youth. They collaborate and work with teachers, mentors, parents, community organizations and a network of advisors, tutors, coaches and mentors, to put students on a path that leads them to become a tech leader. The Community Manager serves as a role model for students to accomplish their goals. The Community Manager must be able to work weekends and some evenings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as a liaison between staff and Operations Manager.
- Create a community connected to the lab by connecting with local nonprofits, schools, and other tech companies within proximity.
- Connect with Volunteer teams, local schools and other organizations
- Serve as the face of the program in the local community.
- Lead the lab operations, including leading a team of coaches, head coach, site coordinator and volunteers.
- Lead student recruitment to welcome and maintain student engagement
- Work directly with students, teachers and parents to ensure that they are following our road map to success; identify areas of academic strength, leadership skills, program interest and motivation and weakness of students to help them complete the program successfully.
- Follow up on student progress regularly, (e.g., organize the advisory process, monitor academic success, create and review progress reports/project completion, assess extra curricular projects, etc.)
- Create a path for students to develop their technical skills academically and practically through self-paced hands on learning and project work.
- Must live in NYC or commutable areas, and work in office everyday
- Have a solid understanding of the tech industry and/or have a connection to maker/developer communities
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Education, Social Work, Psychology, or related field
- Management experience and/or academic advising experience preferred and a passion for working with underserved populations
- Culturally competent to balance roles of coach, counselor, and advocate
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated experience or interest in helping students transition into colleges and universities
NY Transparency Law: $88 - 93k, commensurate with experience
Recruitment Agencies: Giant Machines does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be held responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.