IAM Security Architect
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
IAM Security Architect
As a IAM Security Architect at Fastly you will help ensure we provide a secure edge for one of the biggest online platforms in the world, handling massive amounts of traffic at very low latency. Fastly’s Security Architecture Team champions security throughout all areas of Fastly’s applications and infrastructure. Fastly believes that security is everyone’s job and you will be empowering all of Fastly to live up to that responsibility. Qualified candidates will excel at designing identity solutions that align with business objectives, apply best practice security principals, and meet or exceed compliance requirements while making everyone’s lives easier through automation, integration, and simplicity.
This is a role which has a high impact on human lives. You will be supported by a friendly security team, where you can learn and develop. We check our egos at the door. You’ll make sure our customers benefit from a service built to the highest security standards in the industry. We pride ourselves in our involvement in the larger security community and encourage our team to present at network and security conferences and participate in the open source community. We are a distributed security team with the commitment and tools in place to make it work.
What You'll Do
- Design and build a robust employee identity architecture that ensures the right access, for the right individuals, at the right time by implementing self-service platforms that automate the request, approval, provisioning, and verification processes of access
- Develop the core architecture to allow not just for the assignment of identities and access privileges to individuals but to applications, services, and processes as well
- Perform architecture and design reviews as part of Fastly’s threat-informed Risk Assessment process, coordinating with engineering teams to build solutions based on the IAM strategy and design principles you create
- Partner with fellow security architects to understand the broad scope of identity and access challenges within the company and provide solution guidance that aligns with the overall IAM strategy
- Lead the development of our identity and access policies for software, infrastructure, and humans, striving to build compliance, auditability, compensating controls and security directly into all processes.
- Become a domain expert in Fastly’s technology stack, enthusiastically improving the overall security posture of various assets at Fastly based on current threat landscape
- Partner with engineering teams to identify cyber attack risks in the system and define tactical and strategic mitigation plans, develop business cases for funding security initiatives, and advocate for security positions in key decisions and roadmaps
- As one of the senior technical members of the organization, find opportunities to guide and mentor more junior peers within security and engineering on domains of expertise
- Influence Fastly’s security strategy by leveraging the collective strength of the security team and articulating the capabilities needed to effectively manage the cyber-attack risk
Work Hours: This position will require you to be available during core business hours.
What We're Looking For
- Expert level knowledge of identity solutions and critical related integrations such as Okta, Sailpoint, CyberArk, Teleport, BeyondTrust, Chef, Workday, Ultipro, etc.
- Expert level knowledge of authentication/authorization standards, protocols, and frameworks such as OpenID, SAML, OAuth, JWT, X.509, MTLS, etc.
- Capable of hands-on developing any associated integrations or customizations of the identity platforms needed to meet the strategic objectives
- Significant experience conducting threat modeling and risk assessments of access systems, demonstrating clear ability to identify unique design flaws
- Capable Linux administrator able to identify intrusion/manipulation techniques, and standard methodologies for system hardening and risk mitigation
- Consistent track record designing and integrating mature IAM controls in hybrid cloud and bare metal architectures
- Strong team collaborator that actively seeks to build and maintain productive working relationships in order to establish trust and influence outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to weigh business needs with security priorities and make sound risk-based judgment calls
- Have the mindset of “First-Time-Right” and “Secure-By-Default”
- Working knowledge of the MITRE ATT&CK, NIST CSF, and CIS Critical Control frameworks
- Working knowledge of the IAM requirements defined in ISO 27001, NIST CSF, PCI-DSS, SOX and other industry security and compliance standards
- High emotional intelligence. Fastly teams care about one another, collaborate regularly and are part of a people first organization
Work Location(s) & Travel Requirements
Preferred locations for this position are:
- Los Angeles, CA
- San Francisco, CA
- Denver, CO
- New York, NY
Fastly currently embraces a largely hybrid model for most roles which allows employees flexibility to split their time between the office and home.
The estimated salary range for this position is $181,220 to $226,520.
Starting salary may vary based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as experience, skills, qualifications, and location.
This role may be eligible to participate in Fastly’s equity and discretionary bonus programs.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits that start on the first day of your employment with Fastly. Curious about our offerings?
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance. Family planning, mental health support along with Employee Assistance Program, Insurance (Life, Disability, and Accident), company paid holidays, paid time off and paid sick leave are there to help support our employees. We also offer 401(k) (including company match) and an Employee Stock Purchase Program.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. As a new hire, you will be able to attend our IN-PERSON new hire orientation in our San Francisco office! It is an exciting week-long experience that we offer to new employees to build connections with colleagues across Fastly, participate in hands-on learning opportunities, and immerse yourself in our culture firsthand.
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply! A fully completed application and resume or CV are required when applying.
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, family or parental status, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.