Principal Product Manager - API Security
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Principal Product Manager - API Security
Security is core to Fastly’s mission of delivering a fast, engaging and safe internet experience. It is a critical component to product performance, customer experience, sales effectiveness and ultimately business results. We are looking for a seasoned Product Manager to lead, develop and execute a strategic roadmap for API Security. It is a highly visible and cross functional role with the potential to drive significant impact in the growth-oriented strategy for Security products at Fastly.
This position is based in San Francisco, Denver, Los Angeles or New York.
What You'll Do
- You’ll develop a deep understanding of customer needs, shape and execute product roadmap with customer centric focus, considering market trends, competitive landscape and ultimately drive business impact across the entire security product suite at Fastly
- You’ll be a strong internal advocate for customers, liaise with other Security product managers and key stakeholders across sales, engineering and program management functions in order to deliver stellar products to Fastly’s customers to sustain revenue growth, decrease inefficiencies for Fastly’s security business and drive customer adoption and engagement
- You’ll combine qualitative research with quantitative analysis to, uncover business insights and derive clear and concise narratives that optimize our product decisions
- You’ll simplify complex or ambiguous customer needs into clear-cut, concise strategy, and are comfortable communicating this in written and visual form and into clear product requirements and drive executable initiatives
- You’ll be highly efficient in driving cross-organizational initiatives, with strong communication skills and broad understanding of Fastly’s overall business
- You’ll have high visibility in your role and you will have the opportunity to articulate security product strategy, roadmap and customer impact to the extended product and leadership teams
- You’ll own and drive the product lifecycle from ideation through implementation and launch
- You’ll develop and lead a comprehensive go-to-market strategy while collaborating with marketing, sales, customer support teams to ensure effective product positioning, messaging, and enablement
- You’ll establish yourself as a technical expert and trusted advisor with the ability to evangelize security products to technical users, business stakeholders and industry analysts
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field. MBA or advanced degree is a plus
- In depth, hands-on experience as a Product Manager in Cybersecurity or Application, Cloud, or Networking Security
- Strong technical background with a deep understanding of web applications firewalls, application security and related technologies
- Combination of deep technical acuity and a customer-focused mindset
- Demonstrated success in driving product strategy, roadmap planning and product launches
- Strong leadership capabilities with the ability to lead, mentor and motivate cross-functional teams
- Knowhow to drive monetization and business model strategy from a deep understanding of customers, markets and technologies
- Experience aligning with cross-functional teams to launch high-impact projects
- Hands-on experience with business performance analytics and demonstrated success in growing key business metrics
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, with the ability to engage and influence stakeholders at all levels and operate at strategic and at a tactical level
- Experience translating vision into actionable requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Get stuff done attitude with strong sense of accountability
You will have strong judgment, communication, and deep technical skills; a continuous focus on product, engineering and operational excellence is essential for the success in this role.
You will be required to hire and develop great people. You will be expected to have relentlessly high standards, never be satisfied with the status quo, and deliver a delightful experience to our customers. Eventually you will be the product expert on all customer-facing systems & functionality. You will drive the strategy and roadmap process with executives, founders & the company. You should also be able to execute methodically, have the ability to dive deep and never be out of touch with the details of the business.
You will be measured by the overall performance of our products including product performance, adoption, and renewal/upsell by customers. Your passion and ability to influence across different stakeholders will be critical to your success.
- This position will require you to be available during core business hours.
Work Location(s) & Travel Requirements:
This position is open to the following preferred office locations:
- San Francisco, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
- Denver, CO
- New York City, NY
Fastly currently embraces a largely hybrid model for most roles which allows employees flexibility to split their time between the office and home.
The estimated salary range for this position is $211,370 to $264,220.
Starting salary may vary based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as experience, skills, qualifications, and location.
This role may be eligible to participate in Fastly’s equity and discretionary bonus programs.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits that start on the first day of your employment with Fastly. Curious about our offerings?
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance. Family planning, mental health support along with Employee Assistance Program, Insurance (Life, Disability, and Accident), an open vacation policy and up to 18 days of accrued paid sick leave are there to help support our employees. We also offer 401(k) (including company match) and an Employee Stock Purchase Program. For 2023, we offer 10 paid local holidays, 11 paid company wellness days.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. As a new hire, you will be able to attend our IN-PERSON new hire orientation in our San Francisco office! It is an exciting week-long experience that we offer to new employees to build connections with colleagues across Fastly, participate in hands-on learning opportunities, and immerse yourself in our culture firsthand.
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply! A fully completed application and resume or CV are required when applying.
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, family or parental status, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.