Senior Product Manager - Service Assurance Management
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior Product Manager - Service Assurance Management
Fastly is looking for a Senior Product Manager to join our Product Management team, and take ownership of Service Assurance Management at Fastly. A Service Level Agreement (SLA) sets the right expectations with customers for products and services delivered and can be a key component in strengthening the working relationship between customers and a service provider.
You are a customer-obsessed strategic problem solver, closely collaborating with business and engineering partners across Fastly, and employing strong interpersonal skills, and enjoy a fast-paced and high-growth environment. You have a passion for service availability, and using data to analyze metrics. Your success in this role will be demonstrated by the ability to understanding critical customer business needs that can be translated into a clear and consistent approach to effectively manage, measure, and monitor Fastly Platform service levels. This will define the necessary commitments between Fastly and its customers, building confidence and trust in Fastly as the market leading edge cloud platform.
What You'll Do:
The Service Assurance PM has responsibility and accountability for defining and maintaining a Service Assurance Management and lifecycle process, and the effective delivery of SLAs developed in that process.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative research on customer needs and motivations, industry trends, the competition, and other relevant areas of focus to understand critical business KPIs and SLOs and drive the identification, definition and implementation of Fastly Platform SLAs
- Partner with Finance, Legal, Sales, Program Management, and other key teams to develop a service level management lifecycle process and deliver SLAs from concept to launch, owning every step and driving consensus from multiple teams
- Define the strategy and roadmap for Fastly Platform Service Assurance
- Determine Fastly Platform KPIs (metrics) and SLOs to measure internally, and provide access to internal-facing data and visualizations (measurement, monitoring, and notification) for Fastly Platform KPIs (metrics) and SLOs to key Fastly stakeholders
- Build trusted relationships with Engineering, Product Management, Developer Relations teams and employ them to help imagine, prioritize, build and deploy Fastly Platform SLAs
- Execute on the strategy and roadmap to make external-facing SLAs available to customers that map to Fastly Platform KPIs and SLOs, favoring automation over people and manual efforts
- Develop and maintain access to external-facing data and visualizations for Fastly Platform KPIs (metrics) in Observability, specifically for reporting on Fastly Platform SLAs
- Partner with Operations teams to align on the impact of incidents, maintenance, and more on SLAs to help determine decisions and process customer disputes, exemptions, and compensation
What We're Looking For:
We are looking for a customer-obsessed self-starter with a natural affinity for understanding the level of service customers expect and aligning that with value Fastly provides, delivered through SLAs that can be effectively measured and monitored. You are passionate about service availability, and use data and analytics tools to determine the service parameters and thresholds that customers care about.
- 5+ years of product management, site reliability, or cloud / network / infrastructure operations experience, preferably with SaaS, PaaS, or IaaS products or services
- Customer focused, seeking a deep understanding of target users and are adept at understanding their problems and arriving at elegant solutions to those problems
- A keen, positive, and entrepreneurial spirit, an attitude to get-things-done, curious and collaborative nature that thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to think tactically and strategically to craft a compelling platform product vision and to deliver incremental business value making smart tradeoffs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to learn and leverage the terminology understood by audiences as diverse as executives, finance, legal, and engineering developers
We’ll be super impressed if you have experience in any of these:
- You are familiar with the business aspects of operating globally distributed, highly available and high capacity networks or cloud services
- Experience working on large scale distributed systems, infrastructure, or cloud services
- Prior work experience in pricing & packaging, monetization strategies, operations, customer service at SaaS, PaaS, or IaaS companies in related industries
- Excellent data analytics skills. High proficiency in Excel, Looker, Salesforce or other business applications for data collection and analysis
- This position will require you to be available during core business hours.
Work Location(s) & Travel Requirements:
This position is open to the following preferred office locations:
- San Francisco, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
- Denver, CO
- New York, NY
Fastly currently embraces a largely hybrid model for most roles which allows employees flexibility to split their time between the office and home.
The estimated salary range for this position is $155,370 to $194,210.
Starting salary may vary based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as experience, skills, qualifications, and location.
This role may be eligible to participate in Fastly’s equity and discretionary bonus programs.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits that start on the first day of your employment with Fastly. Curious about our offerings?
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance. Family planning, mental health support along with Employee Assistance Program, Insurance (Life, Disability, and Accident), an open vacation policy and up to 18 days of accrued paid sick leave are there to help support our employees. We also offer 401(k) (including company match) and an Employee Stock Purchase Program. For 2023, we offer 10 paid local holidays, 11 paid company wellness days.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. As a new hire, you will be able to attend our IN-PERSON new hire orientation in our San Francisco office! It is an exciting week-long experience that we offer to new employees to build connections with colleagues across Fastly, participate in hands-on learning opportunities, and immerse yourself in our culture firsthand.
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply! A fully completed application and resume or CV are required when applying.
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, family or parental status, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.