Staff Systems Engineer - PKI
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Please note: You MUST CURRENTLY reside in the US to be considered for this position
As a PKI Systems Engineer, you will help build and operate Certainly, Fastly’s publicly-trusted TLS certification authority. Working with PKI specialists, along with site reliability engineers and others, you will implement systems to meet security objectives, reliability goals, and compliance requirements. Certainly delivers widely trusted, short validity TLS certificates at scale to Fastly customers, helping to secure the internet.
Certainly is built on open-source. This team is responsible for building, configuring, maintaining, and enhancing the application and related infrastructure, logical and physical security, and compliance with strict industry standards.
We are looking for a versatile engineer with a security mindset who enjoys being deeply involved in all aspects of building and operating our infrastructure. Someone who will excel at improving our technology systems and processes, and will show an aptitude for solving complex issues.
What You'll Do:
- Deploy and manage a highly secure, distributed, fault tolerant Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- Work in partnership with our SRE, security, and product engineering teams to operate secure Fastly infrastructure (network, systems, applications, and processes)
- Integrate open-source and licensed software into a modern system that emphasizes automation and resilience
- Design and evolve the environment and processes to exceed security, compliance, availability, and maintainability goals
- Work across the organization to meet compliance requirements
What We're Looking For:
- You have a minimum of 6 years of experience with systems engineering with at least 3 of those years focused on PKI or security
- You have 6 years of experience implementing and maintaining distributed systems on Linux, including automated configuration and deployment, and continuous monitoring and alerting
- Experience operating and scaling systems built on ephemeral, containerized microservices
- Experience with applied cryptography and tools like OpenSSL, CFSSL, or LibreSSL, and understanding of PKI architecture and standards such as RFC 5280
- Experience building and maintaining highly secure Linux environments, including system hardening, vulnerability detection and remediation, monitoring/alerting, and intrusion prevention and detection
- Experience with Hardware Security Module (HSM) configuration and operation
We’ll be super impressed if you have experience in any of these:
- Experience with microservices, protocols like gRPC, bash scripting, debugging Go and Python, and also technologies in our tech stack: Linux, Docker, Hashicorp Vault, Chef, Splunk
- RDBMS administration (e.g. MySQL, MariaDB) experience in a high-availability production environment
- Comfortable working in a highly regulated environment (e.g. WebTrust, PCI)
- Experience operating a large-scale PKI
Work Hours: This position will require you to be available during core business hours.This position may require travel as required by your role or requested by your manager.
The estimated salary range for this position is $195,720 to $244,640.
Starting salary may vary based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as experience, skills, qualifications, and location.
This role may be eligible to participate in Fastly’s equity and discretionary bonus programs.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits that start on the first day of your employment with Fastly. Curious about our offerings?
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance. Family planning, mental health support along with Employee Assistance Program, Insurance (Life, Disability, and Accident), an open vacation policy and up to 18 days of accrued paid sick leave are there to help support our employees. We also offer 401(k) (including company match) and an Employee Stock Purchase Program. For 2023, we offer 10 paid local holidays, 11 paid company wellness days.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. As a new hire, you will be able to attend our IN-PERSON new hire orientation in our San Francisco office! It is an exciting week-long experience that we offer to new employees to build connections with colleagues across Fastly, participate in hands-on learning opportunities, and immerse yourself in our culture firsthand.
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply! A fully completed application and resume or CV are required when applying.
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, family or parental status, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.