Senior Backend Engineer, Grafana Backend Platform (Remote, Americas EST)
This is a full-time remote role for the Eastern timezone of Canada & Latin America.
About the role:
We are looking for a Backend Engineer familiar with GoLang to join our Backend Platform squad.
Backend Platform Squad is focused on ensuring the longevity of the Grafana project by adapting our API and storage engines for many autonomous teams. The Backend Platform team ensures that Grafana itself is observable, has the logging necessary to make any bugs shallow, and can efficiently run in installations serving tens of thousands of users.
The Backend Platform’s work is essential to Grafana as an Open Source project. They do a fair bit of issue triage for the community and work on setting internal standards and leading by example to ensure that everyone working on Grafana’s backend has a strong sense of support from the platform.
In general Backend Platform supports several people and teams by being the maintainers of the Grafana API and the database backends.
Your day-to-day will include:
- Work with your team to deliver new functionality, then use the results to iterate and improve
- Contributing to and reviewing design documents for upcoming features
- Embrace our open-source culture and contribute to other projects that may not directly fall within your team’s scope
- Take an active role in influencing our roadmap and your career objectives
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotations and take ownership of the services you’re running
- Mentor and support other team members, participate in design discussions, and collaborate with the team
- Regularly sharing ideas and knowledge across a vast array of technical ideologies and mindsets
- Working closely with the other squads in the Grafana Division
We're excited about you because you:
- Have solid experience with Go
- Good understanding of storage solutions with an emphasis on relational databases like MySQL, SQLite, and Postgres
- Care deeply about developer and user experience and the quality of the products that you work on
- Have some experience with delivering projects from gathering requirements, and brainstorming ideas to shipping a product to the customer’s hands in a self-driven way
- Have experience writing clean, robust, and performant software that is easily maintained by others
- Have experience with mentoring junior engineers in a collaborative but asynchronous environment
- Enjoy working on complex solutions – Grafana is a highly technical solution and has avid followers who rely on it every day and care deeply about their workflows.
- Can take on complex challenges and break them down to achieve tight learning loops: to analyze, design, and build modular solutions, deliver MVPs, gather data and feedback, and then progress iteratively
- Experience with open-source software and/or commercial open-source companies
- Experience working on a platform team
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with full-text search (e.g. Lucene, Solr) or recommendation systems
- Experience with CI/CD, DevOps, or Developer Efficiency work streams
- Been a user of Grafana and Prometheus in operational roles
- Familiarity with being on-call and performing operations/SRE tasks
- Exposure to microservices architecture and distributed systems, or a desire to learn