Sr Engineering Manager - Grafana Ops IRM (Remote, Sweden)
This is a remote position and we're considering candidates in the UK, Sweden, Germany, Spain, and the Netherlands.
About the role:
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to help us grow and develop our Incident Response Management platform. This platform includes both OnCall response and Incident resolution collaboration solutions. Our managers take an active role in creating a healthy and productive environment for our engineers through guiding cross-team collaboration, tuning team practices and communication, resolving blockers, and coaching each team member in their development. You’ll be responsible for managing a distributed team working on software solutions and helping them deliver value to Grafana customers.
Our department at Grafana builds products to make it easy to detect, respond and learn from incidents with minimal toil. We build integrated alerting, on-call, and incident management products that help teams keep their systems stable and available. Our products are built on top of Grafana's open-source observability platform, and it's important that as we grow, we improve our performance, increase our reliability, and delight our users every step of the way.
- The core focus of the role is on people management, but you should have enough technical skills/understanding of our stack to manage a highly technical team/product.
- You will act as an execution leader and work with your peers and Grafana Product & UX teams to ensure the roadmap is defined and up-to-date
- You have a strong technical background and are capable of engaging in technical conversations and challenging teams to arrive at strong technical decisions themselves
- You will be comfortable working with engineering teams who have a strong sense of autonomy in their decision-making, be it technical or product-focussed
- While you’re great with people and adept at managing relationships, you still keep up-to-date with technical trends and shifts to understand better the challenges ahead
- Ideally, you will have a Computer Science degree or equivalent experience and have worked as a software engineer before moving into management
- Familiarity with public Cloud and SRE/DevOps concepts & struggles would be a strong advantage
Your day-to-day will include:
- Leading Regular 1:1s to ensure your direct reports are motivated, engaged, and learning
- Coaching and mentoring your direct reports
- Providing continuous feedback to engineers to ensure that they can add value while maintaining high standards
- Contributing to and reviewing design documents for upcoming features
- Guiding engineers in effective cross-functional collaboration inside and outside the team
- Assisting the team in breaking down features into iterative tasks
- Collaborating with Product, UX, leadership, and engineers to help define and influence product strategy, roadmaps, and technical designs
- Growing the team working with PeopleOps to attract and hire talent