Senior Privacy Counsel (Remote, USA)
Grafana Labs is seeking a Senior Privacy Counsel to join our dedicated, collaborative, and fast-growing legal team. The primary responsibility of the Senior Privacy Counsel will be to support various internal teams in addressing privacy compliance issues, including assessing gaps and reviewing, advising, and negotiating privacy-related agreements, with additional responsibilities. This critical role will also support broader legal matters, which may include product counseling, vendor review, subject matter guidance in licensing deals, and other cross-functional matters.
The successful candidate will be a creative and analytical thinker who is highly detail oriented and embraces a business-oriented approach, with the ability to think strategically and establish a trusted advisor relationship with internal stakeholders.
- Review, advise, and negotiate data protection aspects of enterprise b2b agreements and other technology-related agreements.
- Proactively work with cross-functional stakeholders to assess areas of improvement related to privacy and other legal/regulatory areas.
- Take a practical and proactive problem-solving approach to efficiently assess privacy issues while advising business leaders on acceptable risk.
- Occasionally consult with outside counsel on complex issues.
- Partner with other internal business teams, such as security, support, and IT to efficiently resolve privacy matters.
- Assist in creating and improving our form agreements and playbooks, as needed.
- Contribute to the development of workflows and processes needed to efficiently scale the legal team, such as those related to the negotiation of our form data protection agreements and the efficient negotiation of customer and/or vendor privacy templates.
- Play a key role in global expansion efforts around privacy-by-design, security-by-design, and the improvement of internal trainings and practices related to privacy.
- Create and present training materials to business teams on a variety of issues, including current legal/regulatory issues with a focus on privacy, as required.
- JD / US law degree and bar admission in good standing in at least one state in the U.S. (or equivalent in Canada or the UK)
- 5-7 years of technology-related legal experience with a focus in privacy (preferably in the SaaS industry)
- 8+ years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Excellent negotiation skills and experience with commercial contracting
- In-depth knowledge of worldwide data protection regulations, including GDPR, CCPA, and industry-specific regulations
- Working knowledge of cybersecurity concepts and proven experience working closely with security teams
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision but also within a team environment
- Ability to maintain strong relationships with internal clients, with high level of client service
- Outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Sound commercial acumen and with ability to recognize and balance risk appropriately
- Experience with open-source licensing is a plus