Senior Packaging Engineer
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with a specific goal: disrupt the shaving industry by creating an innovative, everyday product at a fair price. Since then, Harry’s has expanded to Canada and Europe, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, launched two new brands including Flamingo and Cat Person, and made our first brand acquisition with Lumē.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, the Harry’s team is composed of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 5 or 500, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback.
Harry’s is operating as a hybrid-first environment - for us, that means that we ask folks to come into our beautiful, 88,000 square foot SoHo office a minimum of 2 days per week, with flexibility to choose exactly which days work best for you. What will you get out of that? Bagels on Wednesdays and lunch on Thursdays, and fully stocked kitchens with snacks, coffee, and drinks everyday. Can’t forget the free products and the opportunity to have some meetings without Zoom (remember what 2019 was like?)
About the Team
The Packaging Engineering Team is responsible for the development and engineering of all aspects of packaging from concept to mass production. The team supports all packaging types including custom and stock packaging (bottles, caps, pumps, jars) and secondary packaging (folding cartons, gift sets) for all products within the Harry’s Inc. Personal Care brand portfolio. As we continue to expand into new categories, the Packaging team will be an instrumental driver of innovation and brand success.
About the Role:
Consumer packaging is everywhere and in many cases it’s unavoidable. Packaging can be disappointing, frustrating, wasteful or unremarkable at best. Conversely, it can drive impulse purchase, consumer loyalty/satisfaction, deep brand recognition, and be mindful of its purpose without being excessive or insufficient. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about creating overwhelmingly positive experiences for our consumers.
What you will accomplish:
- Bring your passion and enthusiasm for package engineering to work every day
- Research packaging sustainability/innovation/trends and develop packaging components that support new product introductions, promotions and operational initiatives.
- Recommend and own packaging workstreams required to qualify packaging components, tooling, equipment and processes.
- Develop specifications as part of the package development process. Access or create 3D CAD models and 2D engineering drawings to build prototype tools, samples, and approve component structures.
- Work with packaging component suppliers to design for manufacturing, apply robust testing plans to validate the design, and qualify production release in partnership with technical cross functional partners.
- Participate in and drive packaging engineering design reviews.
- Own packaging line trials and test plans. Troubleshoot packaging-related technical issues during development; develop risk mitigation plans and packaging alternatives.
- Work with the Design team to develop color standards and establish production color ranges.
- Bring printing and decorating experience to the process of graphics design, decoration testing, and artwork approval.
- Issue and maintain packaging component specifications, finished goods specifications, and assembly instructions, for production accuracy and scalable success.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with suppliers and internal cross functional partners.
This should describe you:
- Studied/degree in Packaging Engineering and/or studies in mechanical engineering, industrial design, materials and chemical engineering and related fields.BS in Package Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, other related disciplines, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience in the design, testing, and development of new packaging using a range of component manufacturing processes and materials.
- Having knowledge of a variety of material properties and packaging components such as pumps, closures, bottles, tubes, aerosols, folding cartons, gift sets, flexible films and laminations.
- You have a good eye for design and aesthetics, plus experience with decorating techniques and materials used on primary and secondary packaging
- Honest, direct, and ability to articulate and defend technical packaging decisions as well as communicate clearly with cross functional teams.
- Experience creating 2D engineering drawings to define critical dimensions, and using engineering analysis methods such as Tolerance Analysis and Statistical Analysis.
- Proficient in one 3D MCAD package (eg. Artios, Solidworks). TOPS Packaging design software, and familiarity with Kongsberg cutting tables is a plus.
- Extremely organized, dependable and self-motivated with the ability to excel in a hands-on, fast paced environment.
- Life-long learner: You love learning new things and are not afraid to admit when you don’t know an answer
- Sense of humor -- we take our work seriously and ourselves un-seriously
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the Director of Packaging
- Working in the Global Technology & Manufacturing (GTAM) team w/ Program Management, Product Development, Product Design Engineering, and Research
- You will work cross functionally with many teams including Operations, Design, Quality, Retail and Brand Marketing.
- Externally, you will work with packaging component suppliers, printing and decorating suppliers, and contract manufacturing and filling sites.
Benefits and perks
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401k match
- Equity in Harry’s
- Unlimited PTO and flexible working hours
- Wellness and L&D stipends
- One month sabbatical after 5 years
- 16 weeks parental leave
- Fun IRL and virtual events including happy hours, team building events, and parties on our rooftop
- Free products from all of our brands
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.
We can’t quantify all of the intangible things we think you’ll love about working at Harry’s, like the exciting challenges we tackle, the smart and humble team you’ll get to work with, and our supportive and inclusive culture. That said, our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of our total rewards package, which also includes a comprehensive set of benefits and our equity program. The base salary hiring range for this position is $90,800-$124,850, but the final compensation offer will ultimately be based on the candidate’s location, skill level and experience.