Chief of Staff to CEO
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with a specific goal: disrupt the shaving industry by creating an innovative, everyday product at a fair price. Since then, Harry’s has expanded to Canada and Europe, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, launched two new brands including Flamingo and Cat Person, and made our first brand acquisition with Lumē.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, the Harry’s team is composed of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 5 or 500, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback.
Harry’s is operating as a hybrid-first environment - for us, that means that we ask folks to come into our beautiful, 70,000 square foot SoHo office a minimum of 2 days per week, with flexibility to choose exactly which days work best for you. What will you get out of that? Bagels on Wednesdays and lunch on Thursdays, and fully stocked kitchens with snacks, coffee, and drinks everyday. Can’t forget the free products and the opportunity to have some meetings without Zoom (remember what 2019 was like?)
About the role
Andy Katz-Mayfield is the co-founder and co-CEO of Harry’s Inc. He oversees all of our business units, enterprise functions and Harry’s Labs, and is responsible for setting the company vision and driving our strategy to achieve that vision. As Andy’s Chief of Staff, you are responsible for driving the process, creating alignment, and enabling Andy and his leadership team to achieve these goals effectively.
Think of yourself as the beating heart of Andy’s leadership team, the conductor of our corporate and strategic processes, and an important representative of the company, internally and externally. Information, processes, and feedback will flow through and around you, to Andy, and back to the rest of the company. You will need to react quickly to new and evolving issues, and will be exposed to virtually everything that goes on in Andy’s day-to-day. You will be one of Andy’s most trusted confidantes and an integral partner to our executive leadership team.
Our ideal candidate is in the NYC area and able to come into our office 3 days per week.
What you will accomplish
Andy and executive office
- Be a thought partner to Andy: provide direct feedback, work with Andy to define and refocus priorities, synthesize ideas, and proactively raise blind spots to Andy’s attention
- Actively manage and ensure that Andy’s priorities are executed on: take work that Andy delegates to appropriate folks (including yourself) to scope and achieve; regularly revisit priorities to ensure you, Andy and his team are working on the right things
- Manage, coach and mentor Andy’s EA directly: provide context, coaching, and career development opportunities. Work closely to ensure Andy’s world is operating smoothly
Harry’s Inc Executive Leadership Team
- Partner with Andy and his leadership team to set the vision and strategy for Harry’s Inc, operationalize that strategy and set goals and KPIs to track progress against those goals
- Own and drive Andy’s weekly directs meeting: set agendas, manage meeting and ensure accountability to takeaways
- Own and drive quarterly Inc Leadership meetings in partnership with Andy, ensuring the leadership team is discussing the most important issues that impact the enterprise
- Own and drive bi-annual Global Leadership offsites in partnership with Andy and his EA:
Corporate Strategic Planning
- Own the corporate strategic planning process holistically, ensuring that our key operating and business management meetings and processes run effectively, efficiently, and help us to achieve our financial and operational goals. Specifically:
- Own the Enterprise Planning calendar; set the cadence and rhythm for our internal governance meetings
- Own and coordinate our annual Long Term Strategic Planning process in partnership with Finance and People, with Andy as the executive sponsor: set and manage meetings, work with Andy, Finance and People to set targets, get inputs, and finalize a financial and operational plan that hits our long-term goals and precedes our annual budget process in the calendar.
- Own and drive our internal governance meetings and process: set the purpose, work with leaders to craft agendas, ensure meetings are an effective use of time
- Manage our Corporate Harry’s Inc Board meeting process in partnership with Andy and the Finance and IR teams. Drive to alignment on Board and Board committee meeting agendas, and manage the process to get from agenda creation to meeting execution, including: setting up all internal and external preparation meetings and proxying for Andy in many of those meetings, ensuring the right content is surfaced, and keeping a rolling calendar of board agendas and topics updated
- Own and drive ad-hoc projects that Andy is directly responsible for (e.g. refreshing our company Vision and 3 year goals). This includes identifying the work to be done, scoping, socializing, and working cross functionally to execute on the work.
This should describe you
- You have 10-15 years of professional experience
- You thrive in ambiguous situations with shifting priorities - your superpower is making sense of complicated situations
- You are an excellent verbal and written communicator - you always err on the side of overcommunication
- You are a strategic thinker with a deep love for process - you can take a goal and design a process to get there that is efficient and effective
- You are an excellent cross-functional project manager - you know what it takes to run a tight process and work through people
- You thrive on direct, honest, and supportive communication and are unafraid to speak your mind respectfully, no matter the audience
- You are a mature leader that can work with people up and down the organization.
- You are incredibly organized. Creating and checking off to-do lists is literally one of your favorite activities
- You are deeply empathetic and have an inherent curiosity for what makes people tick. Much of your effectiveness in this role will come through influence, not hard power, and in order to influence you have to understand what motivates people
- You are proactive and a self starter. You have the ability to comfortably dive into almost any area of the business or product no matter your level of familiarity. You are curious and love learning new things and being exposed to a wide variety of topics.
- You are unfailingly trustworthy with confidential information
Who you’ll work with
- Report to Andy Katz-Mayfield
- Work closely the Harry’s Inc Leadership team (C-suite)
- Work cross functionally with Finance, People, Corporate Communications, Labs, Legal, BU and Functional leaders
- Directly manage Andy’s EA
- Liaise with the Harry’s Inc. Board of Directors
Benefits and perks
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401k match
- Equity in Harry’s
- Flexible time off and working hours
- Wellness and L&D stipends
- 4 weeks sabbatical after 5 years, 6 weeks after 10 years, and 8 weeks after 15 years
- Up to 20 weeks of pregnancy leave and up to 16 weeks of parental leave
- Fun IRL and virtual events including happy hours, team building events, and parties on our rooftop
- Free products from all of our brands
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.
We can’t quantify all of the intangible things we think you’ll love about working at Harry’s, like the exciting challenges we tackle, the smart and humble team you’ll get to work with, and our supportive and inclusive culture. That said, our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of our total rewards package, which also includes a comprehensive set of benefits and our equity program. The base salary hiring range for this position is $158,000-$215,000, but the final compensation offer will ultimately be based on the candidate’s location, skill level and experience.