Software Engineer, Benefits Platform
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
Justworks is seeking a Software Engineer to join our team. As a successful candidate, you have demonstrated the ability to build, deploy and maintain large-scale, distributed applications. You have worked within a service-oriented architecture and know how to separate data and functionality as necessary. You understand and use automated testing as a productivity multiplier.
The Benefits Platform Team is responsible for accelerating the growth of the core business by building and running a new, hyper flexible benefits platform that will serve as the launch pad for multiple new products, services, and partnerships over the next 5 years.
We’re building a brand new product and a brand new team so our requirements are a little more nebulous. If you read through the below bullet points and feel like we described you, go ahead and apply. We’d love to chat because you might just be the particularly shaped puzzle piece we’re looking for right now.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Collaborate with a cross functional team to improve and scale the frameworks our other engineers build on top of
- Add capabilities to our high-volume, fault-tolerant processing infrastructure
- Take ownership of designing and developing core application functionality
- Implement internal services
- Enhance our testing, monitoring and continuous deployment infrastructure
- Keep extremely sensitive data compartmentalized and secure
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- You’ve worked on multiple codebases. You’ve experienced both the paralyzing nature of a completely greenfield project and the head scratching frustration of legacy systems you’ve inherited.
- You’ve experienced a handful of different ways to work as a Product Team and enjoy tinkering with the way your team gets work done.
- You feel passionately about enabling your teammates to be successful regardless of their role or seniority.
- You care more about building a high quality product than you do about clever technical implementations.
- You feel comfortable working across the technical stack even though you wouldn’t consider yourself a “full stack engineer.”
- You love to take complex problems and solve them in simple, obvious, and generic ways.
- We really can’t say this enough: you love teams and how we treat each other and how it feels to be on a team.
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $115,000.00 to $155,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.