Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
You are detail oriented and able to work independently. You will own and embrace improvement and proactively identify opportunities for automation while also keeping an eye on risk and compliance. As the Accounting Manager responsible for payroll & benefits, you will be expected to manage a timely and efficient payroll process within Workday to ensure completeness and accuracy around compensation including net pay, benefits, and tax withholdings. Prepare or review reconciliation of related payroll accounts during the accounting close on a monthly basis. There will be a number of initiatives that you will collaborate on closely with other teams across the organization, while imbedding new processes, procedures, and systems into the accounting organization.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Ensure accurate setup for employee net pay, including proper earnings and deductions, tax withholdings for bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll
- Work closely with People team to ensure proper validation, review, and/or approval of payroll, bonuses, overtime, and other one-time payments to employees
- Build out an effective control environment around the end-to-end payroll process, identifying key stakeholders and formalizing documentation while allowing flexibility for company growth and complexity
- Experience with multi-state filings and jurisdictional requirements.
- Lead the accounting organization’s role in building out new HCM system functionality and integration into payroll platform to ensure seamless transition and data flow
- Centralize payroll-related responsibilities and own the processing of on- and off-cycle payments, review of timesheets, processing of payroll tax adjustments, and inquiries from employees
- Develop strategic analytics around payroll-related expenses and summarize findings and trends to management
How You Will Do Your Work
As an Accounting Manager, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.Analytical - uses a logical reasoning process to break down and work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome.Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.Organizational awareness - maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics.Business insight - applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 5 years of accounting & payroll experience, with at least 3 years in industry
- Experience processing/accounting for payroll-related transactions. Has experience working within the accounting departments
- Key participant in month-end close cycle
- Understanding of and experience with SOX-compliant accounting organizations
- Extensive Workday HRSIC experience
- Proficient in MS Office suite, NetSuite experience a plus
- Exhibits accountability and ownership
- Able to work independently and meet tight deadlines
- Interest in learning new processes and implementing the latest technology in a fast paced, data driven environment
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $122,000.00 to $134,200.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.