Vice President, Product Design
Who We Are
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
As Justworks brings to market a suite of products to serve the needs of small businesses, we have established VP, Product Design as a new executive role to lead our efforts in delivering end-to-end omnichannel service experiences.
Having started as a service to help entrepreneurs run their business, Justworks is evolving to support the ecosystem around those entrepreneurs. This role supports that evolution by elevating design as a strategic contributor, weaving together our range of capabilities into a coherent whole.
Reporting to the SVP of Product, this role sits as a peer with Product Management, Engineering, and Corporate Strategy, serving as a business-wide leader.
Your Success Profile
- Oversee the development of a concrete vision of a future-state end-to-end service experience
- Lead the creation, and maintain, a UX Quality Framework (what does “good” look like?)
- Establish Strategic Design practices
- Co-define product development processes
- Accountable for Product Design as a value-driving function
- Educate peers and stakeholders on the potential for Design
- Advocate for what Design needs to succeed
- Contribute to long-term planning, ongoing strategy
- Clarify Product Design’s organizational identity
- Develop standards for recruiting, hiring, and performance management; attract and retain world-class talent, building a high-performing organization
- Maintain psychological safety and respect to encourage radical candor
- Establish professional development guidance and career paths
- Create and foster a design culture that centers around business goal alignment, customer centricity, and company values,
- Cultivate an environment where people can do their best work, develop deep subject matter expertise, and grow their leadership skills
- Craft an organizational structure that supports coherence across a multi-product experience
- Inaugurate Design Operations practice
- Strong relationship with operational functions (e.g., HR, Finance) to ensure Design gets what it needs
How You Will Do Your Work
As a VP, Product Design, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Strategic Mindset - Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies
- Instills Trust - Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, inclusion, and authenticity
- Influence & Leadership - Fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Resourcefulness - Taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have.
- Taking Responsibility - Being accountable, being committed, and accepting ownership for one's decisions, actions, and behavior.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and strongly desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
Your experience includes:
- Having lead Product/UX Design teams with at least 20 people
- Shipping products of high quality and with impact for both the business and users
- Driving organizational transformation in elevating Design’s influence and impact
- Leading efforts to realize coherence of experience over a multi-product portfolio
- Instituting modern product development practices such as product discovery
- Working with insights derived from quantitative and qualitative research to inform Product and Design direction
- Overseeing Strategic Design efforts, including leading a “north star”-style vision
- Compelling people leadership, including career growth paths, and establishing psychological safety
- Successful cross-functional engagement with product management, engineering, and marketing
- Collaboration with HR, facilities, IT, finance, and other operational functions to ensure your team has the resources it needs
Qualities you possess:
- Credibility at all levels from the boardroom to the front line
- Able to freely move between the 10,000ft of corporate strategy to the 1in of design delivery without getting lost in the details
- Systems thinker managing and weaving the various components of Justworks’ offerings
- Compelling communicator and storyteller
- Passion for the SMB space
And we’d love it if you had:
- SMB experience; SaaS experience
- Lead cross-discipline teams, including UX research, content design, service design, and design thinking / facilitation
- Created frameworks for UX/design quality
- Oversaw Design Operations / Program Management practices (onboarding; relationships with HR, finance)
- Oversaw design systems development
- Lead a design organization from pre- to post-IPO
The base wage range for this position based in our New York City Office is targeted at $275,000.00 to $300,000.00 per year.
Actual compensation is based on multiple factors that are unique to each candidate, including and not limited to skill set, level of relevant experience, and specific work location. Salary ranges for positions based in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
For more information about Justworks’ Total Reward Philosophy, including all of the perks and benefits we are proud to offer our team members, please visit Total Rewards @ Justworks.
Diversity At Justworks
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or familial status, disability, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.