Vice President, Privacy Engineer
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title and SummaryVice President, Privacy EngineerOverview
• Mastercard is committed to balancing innovation while protecting individual privacy and has embraced privacy and data protection as core to the successful execution of our business strategy. As part of that commitment, Mastercard has established a world-class privacy program and is adding talent to our global team.
• The Privacy Engineer will provide vision, leadership, and management to a team of privacy professionals to enable them to create processes, documentation and tools to ensure privacy and data-related compliance is built into all our products and services, working in collaboration with lawyers on the Privacy & Data Protection team.
• The Privacy Engineer will drive the organisation to excellence on privacy preserving technological safeguards (including Privacy Enhancing Technologies, or “PETs”) and will work with privacy attorneys and business stakeholders to ensure compliance with global privacy and data protection laws, in particular in connection with Mastercard’s Data & Services business unit, by assisting with the process of privacy by design.
• The Privacy Engineer will ensure that thorough privacy engineering review is carried out in the context of personal data processing activities, especially in the context of data analytics, working with the business to understand data flows and proposed processing activities, and will drive consistency and leadership in this area across the privacy engineering team.
• The Privacy Engineer is responsible for maintaining the integrity of environments dedicated to data analytics activities, including anonymized data environments, by monitoring and enhancing processes and procedures governing the data ingestion, export, access, and usage controls of such environments.
• The position requires a strong understanding of the data and privacy landscape, a strong grasp of data and the ability to master complex data flows, and ability to develop creative solutions to ensure compliance with privacy and data protection laws globally. In addition, the Privacy Engineer must have an affinity for and good understanding of individuals’ data privacy rights and expectations, while having a process-driven attitude and ability to communicate with stakeholders globally.
• The position will report to the Senior Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, Privacy & Data Protection who provides global support for Data Analytics, Loyalty, and Privacy Engineering, and will be a member of the Global Privacy & Data Protection team.
• The ideal candidate will have the ability to think and act strategically with respect to the needs of business clients and their objectives.
• Engage with technical and business teams on privacy engineering review to ensure that privacy by design requirements pertaining to product development in Data & Services are carried out throughout Mastercard’s product life cycle.
• Partner with the privacy attorneys, technology and business teams to establish appropriate legal and technical safeguards to foster privacy compliance across the company, including in Mastercard recent acquisitions, by developing business-facing guidelines and controls.
• Educate product teams, engineers, and data analysts on advanced privacy engineering requirements and privacy guidelines and controls.
• Assist the privacy attorneys and Operations and Technology teams with ensuring the integrity of Mastercard analytics environments from a legal perspective, including reviewing data flows and recommending privacy controls for transfers of data in and out of such environments.
• Evaluate market and privacy technology trends and evolutions and research privacy-enhancing technologies and assist Mastercard product and technology teams with the validation of technology and analytics controls.
• Collaborate with privacy attorneys to develop and create guidelines to streamline Privacy by Design and other processes, including enhancing the privacy engineering program.
• Assist the business in applying essential principles of privacy by design to products and services, including data minimization.
All About You
• Strong command of technology, software, analytics, and/or engineering, including software development, e.g. technical use, administration, development, design, and architecture of IT technology, data management, and data integration processes.
• Experience managing teams and collaborating across a wide range of business, engineering and legal stakeholders to drive initiatives through to conclusion.
• Degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or related field preferred.
• Experience advising on technology infrastructure and building products and services with an existing, sample portfolio of written product summaries, detailed data flows, and/or similar documents.
• Demonstrated interest in privacy and/or corporate security (completion of IAPP courses, CIPM/CIPT/CISSP certifications
• Familiarity with the GDPR and privacy principles that are common across global laws and regulations.
• Familiarity with Privacy by Design methodologies.
• Strong writing skills and ability to simplify technical material for other audiences, including business teams, legal departments, regulators, etc.
• Ability to develop a deep understanding of Mastercard products and services and financial services in general.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering.
• Ability to motivate and influence highly-skilled professionals to achieve major organizational goals.In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Pay RangesPurchase, New York: $186,000 - $289,000 USD