Senior Counsel, Consumer Solutions/Network and Digital Payment Services
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title and SummarySenior Counsel, Consumer Solutions/Network and Digital Payment ServicesOverview
Mastercard is a technology company in the financial services industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, digital wallet providers, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories.
As commerce evolves to a world beyond plastic, Mastercard’s Network and Digital Payment Services legal team provides best-in-class legal counsel to support the ideation, development, customization testing and commercialization of digital and network products and solutions that meet the diverse needs of Mastercard customers and cardholders. We are business relationship managers, who partner with our clients to help shape and execute against our strategy, working cross-functionally across a global organization. We demonstrate personal accountability to help lead the business forward through hands-on engagement, partnership and strategic value creation.
The ideal candidate is a technology and commerce-minded attorney with product development experience who can manage day-to-day legal support for dynamic technologists. The candidate must demonstrate sound business and legal judgement, thrive in a fast-paced environment, with a diverse workload, and have a proven track record of providing pragmatic and proactive legal advice. The candidate must have extensive experience providing both tactical and strategic legal support to executive level business professionals.
The Senior Counsel for Network and Digital Payment Services will be based in either Purchase, NY or New York, NY. You will report to the Senior Managing Counsel, Network and Digital Payment Services and be a member of the Network and Digital Payment Services legal team.
• Provide legal support for the development and evolution of relationships with major global digital technology companies.
• Provide legal support for Mastercard’s Click to Pay product and suite of secure remote commerce products and solutions.
• Provide legal support for the Mastercard Digital Enablement Service (MDES) and associated tokenization products.
• Provide guidance around Mastercard’s digital activity standards/requirements (e.g. rules interpretation/compliance, modifications to existing rules, creation of new rules).
• Ensure alignment in terms of the applicability of the digital activity rules and other applicable standards relative to the business models of our customers and other stakeholders.
• Provide legal support for Mastercard’s Network Products team, which works on transforming and future proofing Mastercard’s network and builds value added services for faster, secure, cutting edge payment experiences and enables Mastercard’s enterprise priorities and growth.
• Partner with technology, sales, franchise, cybersecurity and intelligence and others to shape and launch innovative products and solutions globally that differentiate Mastercard and meet our customers’ and cardholders’ rapidly changing needs
• Draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts (including complex technology agreements, and customer and vendor agreements) in furtherance of Mastercard’s digital solutions and network products.
• Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of applicable laws and government regulations affecting the operation and product development of Mastercard’s business.
• Actively participate in the global Network and Digital Payment Services team of attorneys who are responsible for global digital product development.
• Manage tactical and strategic legal support related to products and solutions to drive convergence of physical and digital payments and advance Mastercard’s corporate objectives.
• Inform policy and regulatory positions related to Mastercard’s products and innovation with relevant internal and external stakeholders.
All About You
• Law degree from an established and reputable law school; licensed to practice in one or more states or jurisdictions.
• Experience in product development
• Relevant experience in complex transactional matters, including strong background in M&A, intellectual property, data protection and/or other technology related legal matters in a reputable law firm and/or as in-house lawyer, preferably in the technology sectors.
• Must have a strategic mindset and be able to effectively discuss with and advise senior management regarding complex legal matters and challenging situations
• Must be able to contribute and operate effectively within a diverse multicultural organization
• Should have a positive “can-do” attitude, be stress-resistant and ready to go the extra mile, and be willing to take initiative
• Should be team player who is both organizationally savvy and a strong communicator, and is able to collaborate cross-functionally and across regions
• Must be able to work independently
• Must be thorough and detail-oriented, but nevertheless able to prioritize and juggle multiple projects and demands
• Should exercise good commercial judgement, be solutions-oriented and have a creative approach to problem-solving
• Be able to think outside the box, and thrive in an environment where we expect the unexpectedIn the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
Pay RangesPurchase, New York: $183,000 - $284,000 USDNew York City, New York: $191,000 - $296,000 USD