Senior Software Engineer, Server Security
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $136B+ by 2026!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The MongoDB Server Team builds the open source database at the core of our business. We provide the rich feature set needed for a document database that offers strong consistency and a high degree of scalability. We have the unique challenge of enabling our Cloud Team to run the database as a service, while delivering an on-premises product that delights both enterprise and community users. We range in experience from new college grads to seasoned staff engineers, but we share a love of computer science fundamentals and a rigorous commitment to quality. The Server Team presents endless opportunities for learning and growth, and many team members have chosen to build their careers here.
This role can be based out of our NYC office or remotely from anywhere in North America.
- At least 3 years of experience in building industrial-strength software projects with robust designs, a high level of code quality, and collaborative software development processes. Candidates with more experience will be considered for more senior roles
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent practical experience, with strong proficiency in data structures, algorithms, concurency, and software design/architecture
- Interest in the theory and practice of database internals and distributed systems
- Collaborate with other Server team engineers to coordinate seamless changes in a feature-rich, large C++-based codebase
- Identify, design, implement, test, and support new server features
- Keep abreast of new database technologies and research, and work to incorporate them into the server
- Contribute to a world-renowned open source database software project
- Espouse and promote the MongoDB values through mentorship, building together, intellectual honesty, and accountability
- Experience in programming, debugging, and performance tuning distributed and/or highly concurrent software systems
- Professional or advanced academic expertise in the domain of distributed systems is helpful, but not required
- In three months, you’ll have contributed to the development of a project slated for the next major release, and diagnosed and fixed a few customer or testing-reported issues
- In six months, you’ll be responsible for reviewing code, interviewing potential new hires, and reviewing new feature designs
- In twelve months, you’re owning the development of a new major feature and are helping to mentor new engineers on the team
Server Security Team
The Server Security team builds features in the core MongoDB Server that enable database users to secure their data, such as TLS and X.509 certificate management, at-rest data encryption, and the authentication and authorization systems. Contributions are split between MongoDB’s Open Source and Enterprise database products. You’d be responsible for baking security into the lowest levels of a large scale distributed system!
Our team operates close to the bottom of the stack, and has a lot of influence over the safety and robustness of our open source database and a growing ecosystem of cloud services and client applications. We’ve recently built groundbreaking support for Queryable Encryption, improved our database operation auditing system to be more expressive, more secure, and less disruptive, and created an officially supported SELinux profile. We are currently working on building OIDC and OAuth2 support into the core database.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.