Senior Software Engineer, Atlas Data Federation (Query)
The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $137.6 billion by 2026!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB Atlas Data Federation (ADF) is a multi-tenant, cloud-native query processing service that allows users to query data from MongoDB Atlas clusters and cloud object storage using the MongoDB Query Language (MQL). We're hiring talented Senior Engineers for our Query Processing team to help design, build and improve the query processing engine underlying the Atlas Data Federation and Atlas Data Lake products. Engineers that join our team will work on high-leverage projects, evolving a highly parallel analytic query engine, improving our data indexing solution, optimizing resource usage and resource management, and contributing to our distributed control plane. Engineers on the team develop highly reliable, well-tested, and scalable services in a collaborative, growth oriented environment.
Our team is distributed all across North America and we support office-based and remote work, and align projects with convenient work hours for each time-zone. The ADF team prides itself on building high-quality software using clean abstractions, and lives MongoDB core values every day – we value intellectual curiosity and honesty, and building together in an environment that prioritizes collaboration over competition.
If you want to be part of a team developing the core technology for a distributed query processing service, join us. Let’s change what’s possible for application developers, business analysts, and data scientists!
This role can be based out of New York City or remotely in the US.
Successful candidates will have the following qualities
- 3+ years of experience in database or storage system internals or building core components for data processing systems (including query execution, storage engines, autonomous tuning and workload optimization)
- Excellent verbal and written technical communication skills and desire to collaborate with colleagues, mentor fellow engineers and lead projects
- B.Sc / M.Sc in Computer Science or similar field, or equivalent practical experience
- Track record of identifying problems, implementing solutions and delivering complex projects in database or data processing system internals
- Strong sense of ownership over their work, from design all the way through ensuring code works correctly in production
- Develop a solid understanding of the Atlas Data Federation architecture and implementation
- Contribute to the design, implementation and support of our distributed query processing engine
- Work with other engineers to coordinate seamless changes in a feature-rich, large code base
- Work with other teams including those building the MongoDB core server, cloud services, and client-side drivers to coordinate changes and reuse solutions to common problems
- Suggest new ideas towards team and project goals and work with team to achieve them
- In three months you’ll have contributed to the development of an existing project, as well as fixed a few bugs
- In six months, you’ll have taken on code review responsibilities and are involved in reviewing the design for new features
- In twelve months, you’re leading the development of a new major feature and are helping to mentor new engineers on the team
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.