Software Engineer, Data Governance
The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $137.6 billion by 2026!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB is growing rapidly and seeking a Software Engineer to be a key member of the growing Data Governance & Discoverability team which oversees metadata management and data governance across the organization. As a Software Engineer, Data Governance, you will be focused on building reliable, flexible, and scalable data tools & services such as API/system integrations, bots, and extensions with the goal of making it easy for internal MongoDB data consumers to (1) find, understand, and trust data and (2) contribute their domain expertise to the centralized data catalog.
We are looking to speak to candidates who are based in New York, NY for our hybrid working model.
Our Ideal Candidate Has:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a Software Engineering role, or equivalent
- Deep understanding of Data Management concepts including Data Instrumentation, Lineage, Metadata, Quality, & Governance
And Expertise In:
- 3+ years of experience programming with Python, Scala, C/C++, Java, C#, Go, or a similar programming language
- 3+ years of experience with SQL or NoSQL databases: PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, Redis, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Hive, HBase, Teradata, Cassandra, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery
- Working with public cloud environments (AWS, GCP, or Azure), and associated deep understanding of failover, high-availability, and high scalability
- Data ingestion via serverless data pipelines through containerization and using one or more modern ETL compute and orchestration frameworks like Apache Airflow, Spark
- Different storage formats like Parquet, ORC, Avro, Arrow, and JSON
- AWS services such as EMR, Lambda, S3, Athena, Glue, IAM, RDS, etc
- Working with APIs and associated configurations (to automate content read/write into data catalog)
- Working with HTML/XML
- Version control and git workflows
- CI/CD Pipelines
- Strong computer science fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, automated testing, object-oriented programming, performance complexity, and implications of computer architecture on software performance
- Plans effective data storage, security, sharing, and publishing within the organization
- Designs boilerplate architecture that can abstract underlying technology from end users
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to explain and discuss complex technicalities with colleagues and clients from other disciplines at their level of cognition
- Product mindset & mentality - building innovative solutions for customer needs balanced with simple, effective, performant design
- Curiosity, proactivity and critical thinking
- Obsession with data: everything needs to be accounted for and be thoroughly tested
Bonus Points For:
- Hands-on experience with a data catalog product such as Alation, Collibra, etc
- Deep familiarity with Spark and/or Hive
- Familiarity with deployment and configuration tools such as Kubernetes, Drone, and Terraform
- Expertise in building microservices
- Experience building a web frontend using frameworks like React
As a Software Engineer, you will:
- Design, build, test, deploy, and maintain Data Governance & Discoverability products to make metadata & governance policies easy to produce, consume, and leverage
- Work with other data teams to gain expert level understanding of the data catalog software and extended features that allow it to integrate with other systems
- Perform administrative catalog configuration tasks, testing, integrations, and migrations related to the data catalog
- Work with engineering teams to define and implement processes to capture and manage data lineage in the data catalog
- Perform proactive data profiling and technical data analysis to identify and enforce data quality rules for critical data
- Develop SQL queries to automate collection of predefined KPIs/metrics to measure data catalog usage and adoption
- Estimate task complexity, report progress, and voice risks to peers and managers
- Both learn from and teach peers and junior engineers
- Develop organized documentation on all aspects of the role including: administrative functions, design decisions, end user manuals, troubleshooting guidelines, metadata knowledge & policies/procedures
- In three months you will have familiarized yourself with much of our data platform, be making regular contributions to our codebase, will be collaborating regularly with stakeholders to widen your knowledge, and helping to resolve incidents and respond to user requests
- In six months you will have successfully investigated, scoped, executed, and documented a small to medium sized project and worked with stakeholders to make sure their data needs are satisfied by implementing improvements to our platform
- In a year you will have become the key person for several projects within the team and will have contributed to the Data Governance & Discoverability roadmap. You will have made several sizable contributions to the project and are regularly looking to improve the overall stability and scalability of the architecture
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.