Senior Product Manager, API Platform
The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $137.6 billion by 2026!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading developer data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB Atlas is a multi-cloud, developer data platform that offers an integrated suite of cloud database and data services with over 43,000 customers. It powers some of the world’s most innovative products and services and the ability for our customers to manage Atlas programmatically is mission critical. MongoDB is seeking an outstanding technical Sr. Product Manager to continue to provide a world class developer experience via the MongoDB Atlas public facing API Platform. This role will be responsible for the continuing execution of the current roadmap as well as setting a strong vision and strategy for the API Platform’s future. Recent feature releases include Admin API Versioning and an auto-generated, from OpenAPI spec, Go SDK, and these are simply the beginning.
This role can be based out of our New York City office or remotely from the East Coast (EST time zone).
- Own and drive the vision and roadmap to ensure customers have a frictionless experience programmatically integrating MongoDB Atlas into their workflows
- Work across the product and engineering organizations to verify the API Platform is providing the right foundation for a stellar API experience.
- Lead the team to the right product decisions via deep engagement with internal stakeholders, customers, partners and prospects
- Drive collaboration across engineering, design, product marketing, sales, partners, and executive leadership
- Manage the backlog of user stories, ensuring they are complete and prioritized correctly
- Actively maintain a view of how the market, competition, and technologies evolve, and factor competitive information and customer feedback into our product direction
- Bring a passion for careful data analysis to inform decisions and measure success
- Be a passionate advocate for our programmatic customers, ensuring we are meeting their needs to make using MongoDB Atlas seamless.
- 3+ years of product management or equivalent experience with a sophisticated technical product, preferable with an API platform
- Experience and demonstrated success in delivering software products to market, while balancing both the strategic vision and tactical requirements/details, on a fast-paced, growing team
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to collaborate across disciplines and teams to come up with creative solutions to technical and business challenges
- Ability to write, defend, and execute business cases
- Comfortable with writing, both technical and general, e.g. blogs, howtos, complex user stories
- Great verbal communication skills, whether within the team, in a 1:1 customer meeting, or on stage at a conference
- 2+ years experience in a hands-on technical role such as software developer or devops engineer.
- Deep domain expertise in the world of API Platforms, familiar with concepts such as the RESTful architectural style, GraphQL, API versioning, OpenAPI, SDKs, API Gateways, API design standards, OAuth, API security, API rate limiting, or similar expertise
- Solid technical skills — our users are developers, devops, ops engineers, etc. Our product managers must be just as technical and have working knowledge in these areas to better advocate for our users; while not expected to write production code, you should be comfortable diving into and understanding new code, using github, learning from existing examples, exploring APIs, reading and interpreting logs, triaging bugs, analyzing support cases, and speaking authoritatively as an SME on any of the technical aspects of the tools in your portfolio.
- Experience with Cloud providers, such as AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure
- B.Sc. in a Computer Science, Engineering, or related field preferred or equivalent work experience.
Nice to Have
- Knowledge/experience with modern CI/CD pipeline practices
- Experience with open source technologies
- Experience working with databases (any type), MongoDB experience a plus
The Senior Product Manager will be successful in this role when they can execute the following strategic tasks/responsibilities:
Within three months:
- Understand the current vision and roadmap for the API Platform
- Be fully versed in the MongoDB Atlas platform and all of its component parts and associated APIs
- Participate in writing product documents for new features and the approval process
- Verify features and provide feedback on issues back to the engineering team
- Forge a successful partnership with your manager, peers, stakeholders, and team
Within six months:
- Participate in customer calls to solicit input and share the product roadmap
- Document, prioritize and refine user stories
- Write and gain approval from stakeholders and peer teams for product documents on new features
- Make product trade-off decisions balancing scope and schedule constraints
- Ship new features to customers
- Communicate the product status and roadmap to internal stakeholders
Within 12 months:
- Identify new strategic opportunities for the platform
- Build and maintain relationships with key customers
- Positively influence key metrics, such as usage, growth and revenue
- Lead presentations at public events
- Contribute information to the community via blogs, articles, etc.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.