Global Director, Escalations & Incident Response
The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $137.6 billion by 2026!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading developer data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
We have an incredible opportunity for a transformational leader to join the MongoDB Technical Services team, leading the Global Incident Response Team, incorporating Incident Management and Escalations. This will be a player-coach role that oversees the team that ensures our customers and prospects are able to successfully run MongoDB at scale and helps them navigate any “bumps in the road” they may encounter.
Typical responsibilities of the team include:
- Managing critical, “seconds matter” production down incidents to rapid closure
- Overseeing post-incident root cause analyses, including ongoing continuous improvement in broader Technical Services organization to prevent future recurrence
- Collaborating with sales, communications, customer success and other field teams on addressing issues which may be impeding expansion of use within an account
- Partnering with managers and engineers within the organization to proactively prevent escalations by aligning the right resource to the right activity at the right time
- Collaborating with the product management and engineering teams to address issues which necessitate attention from those teams (including advocating for feature requests, where appropriate)
This is a role with a tremendous amount of customer interface. Our customers are the best and brightest in the business and they have great expectations of our products and our company. If you are the type of person who enjoys helping customers, managing complex and fast-moving situations, and applying preparation and active rehearsal to often complicated technical emergencies, this is the job for you.
The Technical Services team is growing quickly. This role will have a significant impact on the success of the global organization, helping to position our escalation management for scale, efficiency and top-notch customer satisfaction.
We are looking to speak to candidates who are based in Dublin, Ireland or New York City, NY for our hybrid working model.
Technical Services has nearly 250 global team members in offices spanning the entire globe. The Americas team has offices in New York City, Austin, Palo Alto, Toronto, Vancouver, and Buenos Aires. Outstanding customer satisfaction is achieved utilizing a 24x7x365 ‘follow-the-sun’ support model with regional teams covering the Americas, EMEA, and APAC regions.
- At least ten (10) years experience in a highly technical, post-sale leadership role at a software company in either a Customer Support or Professional Services role.
- Experience with implementing whole-company high-severity issue de-escalation patterns that maximize customer experience and company efficiency.
- Lead post-incident problem recurrence prevention efforts
- Experience sourcing, hiring and developing global teams.
- Experience with implementing ITIL, Incident Command, and knowledge services.
- Ability to support virtual and on-site meetings with customers, and competently manage a presentation to a group of up to 30 people who possess varying role levels (from engineers to C-level executives).
- Prior global people management experience with a focus on career development in a high-growth, rapidly changing corporate environment.
- Experience managing escalations at scale (multiple escalations per week spanning global resources), as well as managing cross-functional response (sales, customer success, support, professional services, engineering, product management).
- Prior experience as a software engineer or devops expert is desirable, as MongoDB is a highly technical platform product and successful candidates typically are comfortable with light programming, writing queries, and operating in a command shell.
- Prior work at a database company, specifically in the NoSQL market, or a similar highly concurrent distributed system used in production architectures.
- Born-in-the-cloud SaaS experience. IaaS or PaaS highly desirable.
- Experience producing management dashboards and scorecards using tools like Tableau.
Within 30 days
- Complete our new hire technical training program; be able to speak confidently about our total portfolio of products
- Be able to navigate our core products at a beginner level
- Network with Peers across Customer Engineering, Customer Success, Development and Product Management
- Conducts listening sessions amongst global leaders about areas for improvement in the escalation management program
Within 60 days
- Understands our global follow-the-sun processes and escalation processes
- Initiates 1on1s with key stakeholders across field-facing and product development organizations to build cross-functional relationships and maintain consistent communications about escalations current and recently closed (e.g. covering specific account details, strategy, overall wellness of the program)Is able to handle a minor process escalation independently
- Begin conducting regular 1on1s with staff of escalation managers as well as other managers within Technical Services
- Catalog incident types and begin building incident response playbooks
Within 90 days
- Demonstrates ability to handle more complex escalations and emergency situations.
- Implements effective bi-directional communication between the escalation management team and the Americas management team
At 120 days and onward:
- Develops first draft of a strategic roadmap for escalation management as a company-wide program; inventories tools, assets and processes, and begins planning requests-for-investment to scale capabilities.
- Conducts an on-site interview with a marquee customer who has recently experienced a high-severity (business-impacting), make at least one change to process and/or systems to improve future customer experience.
- Produces growth plans for the team of regional managers of escalations and their escalation managers.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.