Senior UX Researcher
The worldwide data management software market is massive (According to IDC, the worldwide database software market, which it refers to as the database management systems software market, was forecasted to be approximately $82 billion in 2023 growing to approximately $137 billion in 2027. This represents a 14% compound annual growth rate). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading developer data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB is building the modern data platform of choice for developers looking to build applications faster and more reliably. We power some of the world’s most innovative technology products and services out of our offices worldwide, from New York to Sydney, Berlin to Dublin, and just about everywhere in between.
We’re searching for a UX Researcher who is passionate about creating great, intuitive customer experiences and generating business impact. This researcher should care deeply about our customers and be driven to improving the product experience for them. The right person for this role is someone who can identify user problems, serve as an assertive advocate for the user, and facilitate a user-centered cross-products development process.
As a User Experience Researcher, you will be involved in all stages of the product design lifecycle—from identifying core user needs during the discovery phase to measuring impact on the user after a product is launched. By leveraging your broad skills in both quantitative and qualitative research, you will serve as a voice for the user and guide the user-centered design process.
You will help influence and define research processes, continuously finding opportunities to provide user insights to product teams to facilitate decision-making. You will work cross products and lead projects, working with product designers, product managers, and engineers to ensure that user needs are deeply understood by all team members. You will elevate the role of user research within MongoDB and mentor other researchers on how best to apply research to their projects or how to conduct research on their own.
- Work on a strategic level across different products
- Serve as a subject matter expert on a portfolio of MongoDB products
- Execute mixed-method and strategic research to support products and company goals
- Understand our users and potential users by identifying their motivations, needs, expectations, and goals
- Uncover areas of opportunity and identify actionable ways to improve the user experience of MongoDB products and services
- Work closely with stakeholders to clearly define research problems, distilling technically complex requirements into actionable research plans
- Ability to formulate specific, answerable, and practical questions, with the underlying desire to understand the “why" and “how”
- Collect and analyze data through a wide array UX research methods including, but not limited to: field studies, surveys, competitive analyses, user interviews, card sorting, and live A/B testing
- Translate research findings into actionable insights for diverse audiences, including product designers, product managers, engineers, and C-level executives
- Facilitate ideation sessions with cross product stakeholders
- Undergraduate in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Anthropology, Human Factors, HCI/CS or a related field
- 5+ years experience, can work unsupervised and mentor more junior team members
- Demonstrate working knowledge of study design, quantitative and qualitative user research best practices, and experimental design
- Well-versed in a variety of user research methods, and comfortable working with both quantitative and qualitative data, especially quantitative data and large data sets.
- Experienced with end-to-end research process covering Discovery, Design/innovation and Build/implementation
- Demonstrate superior communication skills and storytelling ability.
- Proficient with: Google Workspace (Docs, Sheets, Slides etc.), Moderated and unmoderated research or survey tools (Usertesting, User Interviews, SurveyMonkey, Qualtrics, Optimal Workshop, etc.), Video conferencing tools (Zoom, GoToMeeting, Webex)
Bonus Points for
- Advanced degrees in relevant fields
- Experience with software development or working knowledge of software developers’ workflows
- Experience using user testing platforms and related software (i.e. usertesting.com, userzoom, qualtrics, etc.)
- Experience working as a researcher in an industry with a specialized audience (e.g. developers, bankers, etc.)
- Have experience working with cross functional teams in a tech setting
- Have experience on working with different teams/stakeholders at the simultaneously, and prioritize projects based on user/business goals
- Have experience on working on large scoped strategy projects across products
- Have mentored junior UX researchers on the team
Why Research at MongoDB?
- We are a growing team in a company that values the insights we provide
- We value doing what’s best for each other, for the product, and for our community of users
- We encourage open, honest, and authentic communication that’s always respectful
- We give each researcher appropriate autonomy and ownership over their projects and encourage everyone to add their unique strengths and perspectives
- We benefit from both our collaborative research culture and our close-knit relationships with individual product teams
- We like to have fun
Each person that joins our team adds something unique and special, changing the team for the better. If you’re passionate about technology and this Research team sounds like one you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you!
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
MongoDB’s base salary range for this role is posted below. Compensation at the time of offer is unique to each candidate and based on a variety of factors such as skill set, experience, qualifications, and work location. Salary is one part of MongoDB’s total compensation and benefits package. Other benefits for eligible employees may include: equity, participation in the employee stock purchase program, flexible paid time off, 20 weeks fully-paid gender-neutral parental leave, fertility and adoption assistance, 401(k) plan, mental health counseling, access to transgender-inclusive health insurance coverage, and health benefits offerings. Please note, the base salary range listed below and the benefits in this paragraph are only applicable to U.S.-based candidates.