New York, NY, USA
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2024
At Nova Credit, our mission is to power a more fair and inclusive financial system for the world. We are on our way to accomplishing this mission by rewiring the financial industry with better credit infrastructure, analytics and workflows, enabling more people to get access to credit opportunities. Our cross-border credit product, Credit Passport®, cash flow underwriting product, Cash Atlas™, and income verification product, Income Navigator, are trusted by leading organizations like American Express, Verizon, HSBC, SoFi, Scotiabank, and Yardi to help them reach valuable new applicants from traditionally credit excluded populations. With support from investors Canapi Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, General Catalyst, and Index Ventures, as well as industry veterans from Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, and Citi, Nova Credit is revolutionizing the way lending is done.
Nova Credit is seeking a highly qualified General Counsel (GC). The GC is a key member of the leadership team, reporting to the CEO and collaborating with team members and external legal counsel in developing and implementing the Company’s legal and compliance strategy. The GC oversees our organization’s ongoing legal and compliance operations in both the US and the international markets in which we operate, including infrastructure, procedures, and team.
This is a full-time position reporting to the CEO. Candidates based out of the New York Metropolitan area are strongly preferred.
Legal Compliance and Risk Management
- Oversee all legal and compliance efforts across the business, including partnerships, privacy and information security, day-to-day operations, corporate organizational matters and corporate governance.
- Manage the company's compliance policies, procedures, and controls.
- Monitor changes in laws and regulations, proactively adapting the company's processes to ensure compliance.
Customer, Partner and Vendor Negotiations and Contracting
- Oversee, review, and negotiate various commercial agreements (such as technology licenses, partnerships, and service agreements) with financial institutions, data providers and other external parties.
- Work closely with internal stakeholders to identify contractual goals while accounting for risks and providing strategic advice to mitigate those risks.
- Develop and implement strategies and resources to help ensure smooth, sustainable and scalable negotiations and execution processes.
- Act as the primary legal point of contact for engagements and negotiations with financial institutions.
- Stay updated on market trends, developments, and regulatory changes that may impact the company's strategies or relationships.
Regulatory Knowledge, Strategy and Privacy Compliance
- Manage, update, and implement U.S. and global compliance efforts, including developing appropriate strategies, disclosures and processes to comply with applicable FCRA, GLBA and other domestic and international regulatory obligations.
- Ensure ongoing understanding of applicable global privacy regulations and guidance and help steer the company’s privacy strategies and programs.
- Stay up to date and engage with experts on applicable regulations, updates, and developments, evaluating their potential impact on the company.
- Engage with external legal counsel to seek specialized advice when necessary.
- Develop processes for ensuring ongoing information and knowledge of applicable international regulation.
Department and Company Management and Growth
- Recruit, lead and manage a team of top legal and compliance talent and related personnel.
- Mentor team members, with a focus on ongoing growth and development.
- Serve as Secretary to the company’s Board of Directors.
- Participate in company and board initiatives, strategy development and managing departmental growth.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school and active membership in good standing with the bar association.
- Proven experience as a General Counsel or in a senior legal role with management responsibilities, preferably in a fintech or financial services company. Startup experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and other related consumer finance laws. AML experience is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of contract law, corporate governance, and commercial agreements.
- Experience negotiating, implementing and managing commercial engagements and working with large sophisticated counterparties including financial institutions.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with external stakeholders at all levels.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, problem solving and influencing skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities in complex legal and regulatory environments including applying regulation to new areas.
- Understanding of business functions such as Sales, HR, Finance, marketing etc.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development.
- Experience in fundraising and international expansion will be a plus.
- Real passion for fintech, and for expanding access to credit.
Everyone is welcome at Nova Credit. We are an equal opportunity employer where our diversity and inclusion are central pillars to our company strategy. We look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural and increasingly globalized world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.