VP of Data Science
SecurityScorecard is the global leader in cybersecurity ratings, with over 12 million companies continuously rated, operating in 64 countries. Founded in 2013 by security and risk experts Dr. Alex Yampolskiy and Sam Kassoumeh and funded by world-class investors, SecurityScorecard’s patented rating technology is used by over 25,000 organizations for self-monitoring, third-party risk management, board reporting, and cyber insurance underwriting; making all organizations more resilient by allowing them to easily find and fix cybersecurity risks across their digital footprint.
Headquartered in New York City, our culture has been recognized by Inc Magazine as a "Best Workplace,” by Crain’s NY as a "Best Places to Work in NYC," and as one of the 10 hottest SaaS startups in New York for two years in a row. Most recently, SecurityScorecard was named to Fast Company’s annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2023 and to the Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces in 2023 award recognizing “forward-thinking employers for their unwavering commitment to employee engagement.” SecurityScorecard is proud to be funded by world-class investors including Silver Lake Waterman, Moody’s, Sequoia Capital, GV and Riverwood Capital.
About the Role:
The Head of Data Science is a leadership role responsible for developing and the ongoing operation of the company's tools, technologies, and technical solutions leveraging data science, advanced analytics, machine learning, generative AI, and other algorithms. In addition, the VP of Data Science is responsible for the ongoing strategic advancement of the company's data science capabilities.
As the VP of Data Science, you will be responsible for defining the roadmap for your team and partnering with Product and Engineering to materialize those initiatives.
- Partner with senior business, product, and engineering leaders to develop strategic goals and direction needed to continuously enhance the company's technology platforms
- Be a technical leader for the data science team, helping institute best engineering practices (coding standards, automated testing, scalability) and grow the technical capabilities of the team
- Ensure data best practices and play a critical role in building a data-driven culture throughout the entire organization
- Partner with senior business, product, and engineering leaders to develop strategic goals
- Partner with the technology leadership team to create a long-term vision and develop a roadmap of data science projects
- Conceive, develop, implement, and continually improve machine learning projects
- Leverage skills, experience, and creativity to apply data science to tackle interesting and challenging problems
- Develop new capabilities to deliver business solutions by applying data science algorithms
- Build and lead a high-performing team of data scientists, helping to enhance their skills while creating a fun and engaging culture that helps them prosper
- Foster career growth and provide thoughtful mentorship to develop employees at varying levels of experience. Establish a clear vision and mission for the data science department
- Work with cross-functional partners and executives in product, engineering, operations, finance, and marketing to define and achieve business goals and to build data-informed business strategies and roadmaps
- Determine leveraging data science, machine learning, and other analytical techniques to improve product features and capabilities. Provide leadership on how to leverage data and data expertise to improve the customer experience
- Develop analytical frameworks, models, roadmaps, and metrics for the team and broader organization
- Serve as a champion for data science and informed decision-making at all levels of the company. Make analytical techniques approachable and understandable to non-data scientists
- Lead the end-to-end planning and execution of all data analytics and sciences initiatives
- 10+ years of advanced analytics or data science experience
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, or any other related quantitative field
- 5+ years of management experience in leading data science teams with a successful track record in building teams, defining goals and overseeing execution
- Proven track record of solving ambiguous and complex data problems at scale, strong quantitative modeling skills inclusive of machine learning
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. You are equally comfortable presenting to executives and peers as you are writing complex SQL queries
- Business Acumen – Proven ability to apply data science capabilities to solve practical business problems
- Product Sense - Understanding of a product planning process, ability to influence product strategies and roadmaps, strong collaboration skills
- Expert level knowledge in predictive analytics, machine learning, and data mining
- Proficiency in Python, Spark, Notebooks, AWS, Generative AI models, etc.
- Data & ML Architecture – Experienced integrating data science applications into software products. Understands ML Ops (deployment/scalable infrastructure)
- Has worked with data at scale and velocity
- Mentor+Coach – A player-coach who can roll up sleeves, solve problems as a team, and facilitate the team’s success
- Proven ability to attract, hire, develop, and retain exceptional talent
- A dynamic, forward-thinking leader who will bring intensity and commitment to the business. A bias toward action, experimentation, and velocity
We offer a competitive salary, stock options, Health benefits, and unlimited PTO, parental leave, tuition reimbursements, and much more!
SecurityScorecard is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and embraces diversity. We believe that our team is strengthened through hiring and retaining employees with diverse backgrounds, skill sets, ideas, and perspectives. We make hiring decisions based on merit and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex or gender (including pregnancy) gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, marital, veteran, disability status or any other protected category in accordance with applicable law.
We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, in accordance with applicable law. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please contact email@example.com.
SecurityScorecard does not accept unsolicited resumes from employment agencies. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position.