Senior Manager, Security & Compliance
Do you want to empower organizations to fairly and equitably hire, promote, retain and compensate their employees? Syndio is a Series-C technology company committed to fairness in the workplace. Fueled by investments of $83M from Bessemer Ventures, Voyager Capital and social change organization Emerson Collective, Syndio is investing in growing our team and products.
This is a critical moment when organizations are looking for ways to take tangible action to fight gender and racial bias, and we believe creating diverse and inclusive workplaces for all starts with workplace equity
We are looking for a highly skilled and motivated Security Leader who will be responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance, and evolution of security solutions in a fast-paced high-growth startup environment. With oversight from the Director of Platform & Security, you will be a working leader of the organization, ensuring the security and integrity of our systems against an ever-evolving and changing security landscape. You should be passionate about staying ahead of the curve in security engineering practices and methodologies to solve business requirements, constantly seeking new techniques, tools, and solutions to enhance our security posture.
Syndio hires across five main hubs in the United States, strategically situated in Seattle, Chicago, New York, Denver, and San Francisco. Although this position offers remote work flexibility, we highly encourage candidates to reside near one of these five hubs. This proximity enables regular in-person collaboration time and fosters relationship building and team development activities live.
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with evolving/maturing organization requirements where you can learn, grow, and be challenged responding to changes in the security threat landscape
- You will increase and mature the business capabilities in cybersecurity, zero-trust engineering practices, identity and key management, encryption techniques and processes, secure engineering practices, and system/application designs- to name a few!
- You will identify the short and long-term security needs of the organization to develop the company’s information security strategy
- Work with engineers, product teams, leaders, and specialists to implement and drive a security strategic plan and vision for the business and our products
- Solution frameworks and strategies that grow with the needs of the business, products, and our customers/users, further strengthening and maturing our security posture
- Lead or participates in projects relating to risk management, compliance, business policies,vulnerability management, security Project Management, and Knowledge Management
- Identify and own direct and indirect issues impacting the overall security posture within the organization
- Work closely with cross-functional (backend, frontend, product, site reliability, platform) teams to develop, implement, and govern security processes and best practices
- Collaborate with the sourcing and execution of external penetration tests and drive the remediation process of findings
- Collaborate in providing responses to customer security questionnaires and internal/external auditors regarding Syndio’s technology
- Participate in incident responses, containing, investigating, and preventing future information security incidents
- Stay informed about current and emerging security threats, providing insights on designing security capabilities to mitigate risks
- Analyze business projects and roadmaps, identifying security dependencies and risks, and assist in designing solutions to remediate those risks
- Test and audit information security controls in enterprise, cloud, and product environments
- You possess staff level experience in cybersecurity or related fields. CISM, CCSK, and CISSP certifications are a plus but not required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of application security, risk management, authentication systems, system security testing and hardening, and cloud security
- You have a background in core system engineering skills and system security skills across hardware, software, and networking technologies
- You are analytical, a problem-solver, with troubleshooting skills and familiarity in system exploitation
- You are experienced within the SaaS industry and technologies utilized across major cloud providers
- You thrive working in a collaborative environment, with a team that communicates well and ensures they’re delivering on each other’s needs. You add positive energy to the team, and make your coworkers feel included in every interaction.
- You have a strong working knowledge of national and regional information security standards, frameworks, and guidelines (e.g. NIST, SOC, ISO, GDPR, BDSG, etc)
- You are comfortable speaking with senior leaders, engineers, product teams, and customers (when required) about the current state of our security architecture, best practices, and strategic initiatives
- You have familiarity with security automation platforms, secure coding practices, and open source software
- You are comfortable with, have reading comprehension of, or actively maintaining working knowledge of programming languages, libraries, frameworks, and associated security controls and practices
- You are passionate about our mission to close pay gaps and create fairness in the workplace
- Within 1 month, you’ll get up to speed on our existing practices and system architecture, exposed to the engineering teams, and get excited about all the opportunities before us!
- Within 3 months, you’ll be working on and participating in system architecture, tooling, and strategy discussions. You’ll have a solid base understanding of our system architecture and start actively participating in work tasks and assignments that fall to the team.
- Within 6 months, you’ll be leading efforts to help keep the team secure with internal audits, learning sessions, and leading informative sessions with various teams.
- Within 12 months, you’ll be celebrating for automating a chunk of the security tooling while planning on growth and expansion.
- Check out our Employee Experience page for more information on our Mission & Values, Work-Life Balance, Pay Transparency, Diversity, Culture, and Benefits.
- 💰 Competitive Compensation. For this role our salary is targeted at $158,000 -$217,000 per year. Final offer amounts are determined by factors such as experience and expertise. We take a geo neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location.
- 🏆 Syndio Equity. So you can share in Syndio’s success.
- 🏝 Flexible Vacation Policy. We encourage our team to recharge when they need to, plus paid sick & safe time, compassion leave, and voting leave.
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave
- 🩺 Medical, Dental, Vision. Syndio pays 90% of employee premiums, and 50% for dependents.
- 🏥 Life Insurance & Disability. Syndio covers the full premium.
- 🏦 401(k). To help you save for your future.
- Fully remote model - #LI-Remote
The interview overview
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for our Senior Manager, Cybersecurity position. Please note that this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- 30 min interview with a member of our Talent Team
- 30 minute zoom interview with the Hiring Manager
- Four video interviews with several team members (Director, Compliance, Manager, Principal) - 3 hours
- Final interview with CTO - 30 mins
At Syndio, we're building a diverse team that values candor, curiosity, and community. If you share these values and are interested in joining us, we'd love to talk with you even if you don't 100% meet the "about you" listed here. We don't expect anyone to have all the answers, as long as you're willing to learn and grow with us.
Employees joining the Syndio team at this early stage of growth will impact this critical social issue and support a growing customer base (including Nordstrom, General Mills, Match Group, and others) to take tangible action on workplace fairness.
Syndio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are building an inclusive and collaborative workplace as we grow, and we welcome team members regardless of gender/identity, sexual orientation, race or cultural background, religion, physical disability and age.