Site Reliability Engineer
Do you want to empower organizations to fairly and equitably hire, promote, retain and compensate their employees? Syndio is a Series-C technology company committed to fairness in the workplace. Fueled by investments of $83M from Bessemer Ventures, Voyager Capital and social change organization Emerson Collective, Syndio is investing in growing our team and products.
This is a critical moment when organizations are looking for ways to take tangible action to fight gender and racial bias, and we believe creating diverse and inclusive workplaces for all starts with workplace equity.
We are looking for a skilled and motivated Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) who will design, implement, maintain, and evolve solutions that increase the reliability and availability of our applications and systems.
You will apply software principles to platform and infrastructure systems, ensuring our applications are designed to eliminate single points of failure, provide maximum observability, and experienced failures are resolved quickly and efficiently.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about SRE practices and methodologies to solve business requirements, constantly seeking new techniques, tools, and solutions to enhance our systems. As a startup in a fast-paced high growth environment, we are looking for an engineer that isn't bound by dogmatic principles assigned to traditional engineering roles. You’ll be exposed to, develop skills in, and be responsible for work that may at times fall into the traditional world of platform, data, security, and software engineering. If that sounds like fun and aligns with your personal growth plan, let’s talk!
#not awkward elephant
Now before we get started, let’s be specific here with minimum skillsets. This is a mid-level engineer position. We use Kubernetes, Terraform, and Helm almost exclusively in a 100% cloud-based environment. You are an engineer who is still growing, comfortable in your knowledge of these technologies, and has relevant experience managing kubernetes applications in an SRE role.
- Be a critical member in our engineering squads designing, implementing, managing, and reviewing infrastructure and application operational and architectural state
- Manage, monitor, improve, and experiment with cloud infrastructure environments
- Manage the availability, scalability, security, and performance of our platform and applications
- Participate in 24/7 on-call rotation- don’t worry, we’re pretty stable (https://status.synd.io/)
- Technologies you will work with: GCP, Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm, Datadog, Codefresh, Python, Go, and more
- 3+ years of experience in a cloud operations environment
- You can operationalize and maintain cloud services using Kubernetes (we use GKE)
- Experience with observability, monitoring, and capacity planning
- Experience with continuous integration frameworks
- Coding experience is a plus (we use Python and Go- one)
- You appreciate working in a collaborative team setting
#really important stuff
- You are eager to learn, share knowledge and ideas, and grow with our team
- You are available and willing to step in for emergency response and incident management
- You are relentlessly curious, willing to explore all aspects of the product to identify gaps in reliability and performance
- You want to own and drive initiatives within Syndio that leverage and build your skills and interests
#REALLY really important stuff
- You assume positive intent, are humble and eager, expect the best from yourself, value partnership over perfection, and provide grace and understanding in stressful situations
- You value a remote work environment and know that it requires greater intentionality on your part to build and maintain strong working relationships
- Required: Must live within New York Metro / Tristate Area
- Within 1 month, you’ll complete a comprehensive and supportive onboarding process and be able to make isolated contributions to the product, developer tooling, and infrastructure
- Within 3 months, you’ll have a grasp of the complete set of components (services, tools, configuration, etc.) that make up the product and infrastructure. You will continue to make isolated contributions. You will be a full member of the on-call rotation.
- Within 12 months, you’ll be able to suggest and implement complex changes to the infrastructure, developer tooling, and capacity planning
- Check out our Employee Experience page for more information on our Mission & Values, Work-Life Balance, Pay Transparency, Diversity, Culture, and Benefits.
- 💰 Competitive Compensation. For this role our salary is targeted at $114,000 -$156,000 per year. Final offer amounts are determined by factors such as experience and expertise. We take a geo neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location.
- 🏆 Syndio Equity. So you can share in Syndio’s success.
- 🏝 Flexible Vacation Policy. We encourage our team to recharge when they need to, plus paid sick & safe time, compassion leave, and voting leave.
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave
- 🩺 Medical, Dental, Vision. Syndio pays 90% of employee premiums, and 50% for dependents.
- 🏥 Life Insurance & Disability. Syndio covers the full premium.
- 🏦 401(k). To help you save for your future.
- Fully remote model - #LI-Remote
The interview overview
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for our Site Reliability Engineer position. Please note that this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- 30 min interview with a member of our Talent Team
- 45 minute zoom interview with the Hiring Manager
- Four video interviews with several team members (Engineering Manager, SRE, Software Engineers) - 3 hours
At Syndio, we're building a diverse team that values candor, curiosity, and community. If you share these values and are interested in joining us, we'd love to talk with you even if you don't 100% meet the "about you" listed here. We don't expect anyone to have all the answers, as long as you're willing to learn and grow with us.
Employees joining the Syndio team at this early stage of growth will impact this critical social issue and support a growing customer base (including Nordstrom, General Mills, Match Group, and others) to take tangible action on workplace fairness.
Syndio is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are building an inclusive and collaborative workplace as we grow, and we welcome team members regardless of gender/identity, sexual orientation, race or cultural background, religion, physical disability and age.