Social Video Producer & Host
ABOUT THE ROLE AND TEAM
theSkimm’s social/video team is a creative, collaborative group of social strategists, video producers, hosts, and editors from both traditional and new media backgrounds. They maintain high standards of journalism in storytelling, while producing engaging content in theSkimm’s unique voice. We’re looking for a Social Video Producer & Host who will own both editorial approach and technical execution for social video initiatives, including hosted person-to-camera explainers for Instagram and TikTok as well as interview series with high-profile talent. Reporting to theSkimm’s Executive Producer of Video, you’ll collaborate cross-functionally with internal teams such as Editorial, Talent, Design, and PR to ensure optimal process from pre- to post-production.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Owning social video projects from start to finish: Efficiently managing editorial and technical pre- and post-production (including research, scripting, assisting on in-person shoots, and guiding edits)
- Pitching explainers, “vemes” (video memes), and other video formats that align with theSkimm's social strategy and meet performance goals
- Joining our slate of on-camera hosts for video explainers on Instagram and TikTok
- Occasionally contributing to static in-feed content for our Instagram channel as needed
- Potentially interviewing celebrities and influencers for high-profile video series
- Liaising with editorial, talent, design, PR, and newsletter teams for optimal execution and promotion of videos
- Working with freelance editors and networking to bring best-in-class talent to theSkimm as needed
- Maintain internal budgeting and invoicing for video production
- Researching, fact checking, casting talent for our series, general production support
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 3+ years in social video production for a digital publisher or media company
- Strong knowledge of the social media landscape, current trends, and what performs well on each platform
- Natural on-camera presence with understanding of how to “talk for TikTok”
- You’re “chronically online”: you have a strong grasp of the news cycle, zeitgeist, and pop culture
- Strong understanding of and experience maintaining journalistic standards, including fluency in reporting best practices, fact-checking, and libel
- Editing and shooting experience on both iPhone/in-app on TikTok as well via tools such as Premiere
- Ability to script and produce a wide range of content: person-to-camera, conversational stitches, interviews, and more
- Meticulous organization, attention to detail, and ability to work effectively on deadline
- Passionate about theSkimm and its mission
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Passion for social media and TikTok-specific video creation
- Understanding of basic production both in studio and in the field: lighting, cameras, direction
- Experience interviewing VIP talent for a media publication
- Proven track record of growing viewership and driving audience engagement for a brand social media content
Please submit or link to three social videos you’ve produced and/or hosted to be considered.
The expected annual base salary for this role is $80,000-$90,000. We’ll consider a variety of factors when determining the offered base salary including an evaluation of a candidate’s skills, abilities, experience, location, market demands, and internal parity.
WHY WE LOVE WORKING HERE
We are mission driven and values driven:
We are collectively building an impactful brand to empower generations of informed, confident women. Our vision is for every woman to have the info they need to navigate a complex world and the decisions in it. Every role has a purpose and allows us to provide useful information succinctly and contextualized. We tee her up to take action - whichever action is right for her, wherever she is.
We are values driven at every point - how we work, the way we work and our culture come straight from our core values. Each of us supports this incredible brand and takes part in its continued growth, fulfilling the needs of our audience each and every day.
We put you and your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- A hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans and commuter benefits
- Auto-enrollment into a MassMutual 401(k) plan starting on your first day and employer contribution available after one year of employment
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year anniversary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave (adoption, fostering and surrogacy included)
- Bereavement leave for pregnancy loss
- Phased return to work schedule availability
- Flexibility based on parental schedules
- Access to family building and fertility benefits
- Flexible and broad-scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company “time off” during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative, and supportive culture (we celebrate and have fun!):
- Weekly company updates led by our co-founders/co-CEOs
- Weekly lunch stipend for HQ employees
- Employee Resource Groups
- Employee awards ceremonies to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs and activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, rooftop lunches, off-sites, and wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office and remote, to connect and have fun
Your career and development are a priority:
- Annual learning and development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners and colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance and planning
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s suite of membership products and swag
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
OUR STORY, SKIMM'D
We are a digital media company, dedicated to succinctly giving women the information they need to make confident decisions. We make it easier to live smarter.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives, and strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Everyday we’re breaking down the news, trends, policies, and politics that impact women so that they can navigate their daily lives and futures – from managing their paychecks to casting their ballots – with confidence. We provide our dedicated audience of millions with reliable, non-partisan, information, informing and empowering them while fitting into their daily routines.
Since disrupting the media landscape and defining a new category a decade ago, we have become a trusted source for our audience of millions by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way they consume news and make decisions. Today theSkimm ecosystem includes the Daily Skimm, the Daily Skimm: Weekend, Skimm Money and Skimm Your Life newsletters, top-rated podcasts: “Skimm This” and “9 to 5ish with theSkimm,” theSkimm mobile app, virtual course series SkimmU, and Skimm Studios which creates innovative in-house video and audio content. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list. Through Skimm Impact, our purpose-driven platform, we are proud to support get-out-the-vote efforts with Skimm Your Ballot, which has spurred one million voting-related actions across the last three election cycles, and it's #ShowUsYourLeave movement, creating transparency and change for Paid Family Leave in the U.S.
Come join us!
Learn more about us and our other opportunities here.
WHAT ABOUT THE OFFICE
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY with flexibility for remote work.
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. We have a hybrid environment and ask that employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open. We are continuing to closely monitor the state of COVID-19 in New York and will adjust this plan accordingly.
We will require COVID-19 vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations and will also require additional boosters, and will always follow CDC and NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.
*Any correspondence from our team will come from a @theskimm.com email account!